Doe Report

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

spinal tap
Silent Operator

Doe Report

Post by spinal tap »

I've been away from 300 BLK for a bit, but took it with me yesterday on a deer hunt. I used Barnes VOR-TX 110gr ammo in a 12.5" AAC MPW upper (running about 2215 MV) and shot a medium sized doe at around 70 yards. The bullet entered its chest just behind the shoulder and exited with good expansion. The top of the heart was blown out, unfortunately. (I like grilled heart a lot.) There was a good blood trail as she ran over and under the rockiest, craggiest worst mess of deadfall before piling up in the middle of it. Does are really good at this in my experience, but I digress. I was very pleased with the bullet's performance and now that I've checked in for a visit here, I'm looking forward to trying these 150gr Speers y'all have been using. Good hunting to all!
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Doe Report

Post by BlogSarge »

I’m like you, I love grilled heart and hate when I mess it up. At least you have some nice back straps to throw on the grill.

Congrats on the freezer full of venison.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Doe Report

Post by rebel »

I watched a young buck for 25 minutes tonight. Finally ran him off so I could get down , it was 0 dark 30. Could have killed him dead, enjoyed watching him eat and move. And just as it was dark enough, started quick walking toward the bait pile and food plot. Until then he stayed within a hop to the brush.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.