2019 Hunting Trip and Processing

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

2019 Hunting Trip and Processing

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Hi everyone! I'm not on so much these days but I make sure that I post my yearly hunting trip info and often my meat processing info.

Again my brother, myself, and the ol' lady went to hunt on a new new MLD hunting ranch in Central TX this year. The MLD property we hunted last year was horrible so we switched gears again this year and found a MUCH better property that we are likely going to hunt again next year :)
MLD = they manage the land so we use their tags rather than our tags which = we can bring back as many deer as the property allows us or has tags to harvest.

We brought back 9 deer (8 does, 1 little spike).

300BLK Kills

Me and the ol' lady were sharing a stand and only took my 300BLK for morning hunts. I took my 30-06 for evening hunts to minimize tracking in the dark situations.
I took the spike with my 300BLk using the old brass 110gr Lehigh Defense CC bullet out of my AAC AR-15. He ran about 80 yards and piled up. No need to track because we saw him the whole way. It was a double lung shot broad side.

She took all 3 of her does with my barrel swapped Savage Axis 300BLK. #1 ran about 100 yards and piled up but we saw where it went out of sight and were right that it piled up rather than kept running.
#2 ran about 50 yards and we saw it fall over.
#3 ran about 35 yards and we saw it hit the ground and expire.

She did her part on placing the bullet. Two double lung shots and 1 heart shot. This is her second year hunting so I have her take broadside shots and aim into the shoulder for double lung vital shots. If she is a little off she is still in the vitals and the animal goes down. The heart shot was a case where she simply hit a little low but having her aim in the shoulder really helps her as a new hunter. She punches paper very well but like many/most humans can get excited when the animal is making for a good hunt and not just standing around giving good shots all the time.

Other Kills
I took 2 does with my Remington 700 BDL 30-06 using 150gr Hornady GMX handloads. 1 doe was DRT. The other an about 100 yds and crashed landed into a cedar bush. I have no idea how that deer ran all that way because she had a racket ball hole in the off shoulder and I found a golf ball sized piece of lung about 20 yards from where she gave up the ghost. There was lung hanging out of the wound. This was one tough deer!

My brother took his 3 does with a 7mm Magnum so when he shot the deer they landed in the walk in cooler back in camp :P

Processing Results
In all we had 117 pounds of cleaned deboned meat:
  • 34.4 pounds Backstrap and Tenderloins
    24 pounds of scraps for Bratwurst sausage grind (add 6 pounds pork fat for 30 pounds of sausage total) - this comes from front shoulders and other odd scraps
    42.2 pounds of pure 100% Venison burger grind (we add no fat to the pure grind) - this comes from hind leg roasts
    17.2 pounds of Shank and Heel meat. This will go for braised shank, pot roast, and stew meat dishes.
    28 pounds of pork franks from $0.99/lb Pork Butts that were on sale this past Tuesday... the feral hogs seem to know we are coming and hide hahaha
My freezer filled again for the year! (Top is Venison Brats, 2nd from top Pork Franks, 3rd from top is pure 100% ground Venison, Bottom shank and heal meat)

6 of the 9 deer. These are the ones me and my girl took, I had already broke down the other 3 my brother took when it dawned on me to take the full meat cooler picture lol.

If you want more processing info I logged that info here in this post CLICK HERE

Nature/Animal Pics
I can't post all the pics due to the limit imposed by the site but here are a few nature shots.

Big beautiful white Fallow Buck

Nice Whitetail buck.

Axis doe, white Fallow doe, and little Whitetail buck passing by the feeder.
(can't post image, too many url's exceeded :( )

It was a great hunt and the processing is done and food tastes great! I hope you guys enjoyed the post and I look forward to all your hunting posts and wish you great hunting success this 2019 year! :)
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2019 Hunting Trip and Processing

Post by BlogSarge »

Hey TBM,

It is always good to hear about a full freezer. Congrats to all three of you on a successful hunt.

Sounds like you all had good, fast kills. Bullet placement again carries the day!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Always love to read about your successful harvests.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Thanks guys! It was a great trip, hunt, and harvest.

I will be eating some of the meat here shortly for lunch :)
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Awesome! That's a good deal when you can take nine deer without incident.

(Roughly) where were you hunting? I'll be hunting up around Mason next week.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

bangbangping wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:17 pm Awesome! That's a good deal when you can take nine deer without incident.

(Roughly) where were you hunting? I'll be hunting up around Mason next week.
Yep it was a good trip.
We were hunting in Mountain Home which is 45 minutes west of Kerrville which is all about 2 hours Northwest of San Antonio lol.
It would be probably about 1 hour directly South of Mason if there was a direct route between the two areas... but I don't think there is lol.

It was the West Kerr Ranch. Best of luck on the trip and I hope you score plenty of deer! :)
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

What a great hunt TBM thanks for taking the time to share your adventures.
TTF
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
GregP42
Silent Operator

Post by GregP42 »

Great hunt TBM, thank you for sharing it.

Greg
NRA Life member
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You know hunting season is in full swing when the tall urnedmidget post shows up!

Congrats on some good eating for the year to come!
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Wow someone else that knows where Mountain Home is! About 20 minutes from the ranch that I help out at on hwy 41. The property owner lets us get axis and white tail does but have to wait until the last weekend of white tail season after all the buck hunters.