Binocular recommendations?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

herik

Binocular recommendations?

Post by herik »

Hello all,
I'm currently in-market to choosing hunting binocular. I have numerous Leupold rifle scopes and love their optics. Any suggestions as to what power/FOV/size binoculars would be best for hunting?
Thanks
Last edited by herik on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Binocular recommendations?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

herik wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:26 pm Hello all,
I'm currently looking into a good set of binoculars for general hunting. I have numerous Leupold rifle scopes and love their optics. Any suggestions as to what power/FOV/size binoculars would be best for hunting?
Thanks
Hi there and welcome!
Well the answer to your question depends on what you are needs are.

In any case I prefer a "fixed" magnification set of binos. The variable zoom ones just don't perform well at all the magnifications so you generally sacrifice better image for ability to change the magnification.

With that said I run an inexpensive pair of Celestron 20X fixed magnification with 50mm lenses.
My needs are specifically to identify nubbin bucks that don't have pronounced color change or raised nubs and to identify points on horns that might be hard to see or MIGHT be 1 inch in size (meaning a real point but just barely)
I meat hunt which means I shoot does and spikes and 3 points and I MUST not shoot a big nubbin buck that isn't really showing the nubs well or "4"+ point where they have little goofy points at the base of the horns and the top of the head or "almost 4 pointers" that have no brow tine and have little webbed forks at the top but the point is not a true point (less than 1 inch).
If I don't want to mess up I really gotta see those points at 100 yds.

It is good enough for my hunting needs. Just know that at that magnification you need to be able to hold fairly still because shaking is also magnified lol.

If money is no object I would get Swarovski bino's. Even at 10 power the Swarovski picture is so crystal clear that it destroys my Celestron 20x binos. I was lucky enough to put my eyeballs on a pair of Swarovski and man it was amazing!

Bushnell makes a fixed 20X 50mm I just bought as a 2nd pair of binos but haven't used them in the field so can't comment on them yet.
I hope this gives some food for thought :)
masblackbelt

Re: Binocular recommendations?

Post by masblackbelt »

I've got a set of 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks that I really like. I think for my area, 8x42 might be an even better choice. I live in Tennessee, where distances are kept to a minimum due to vegetation and terrain. So I would keep that in mind when looking at binos. You mentioned needing to identify antler size at 100 yards, and I believe that 10x42s would do you well. I think at that distance light transmission and clarity will do more for you than magnification. Keep in might that if hand holding, more power than 10x is going to be hard to hold still. Atleast in my experience they are, but I tend to be over caffeinated most of the time. :lol: I would NOT recommend something along the lines of a 10x28, as I just don't think the exit pupil will transmit enough light to see the detail you need.

To stretch your dollar further, I'd keep an eye on AA Optics' refurbished section. They usually have some pretty sweet deals on refurbished vortex products, and they have the same warranty as a new pair.
You learn something new everyday when you're as dumb as I am...