How do you call predators?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Aggie
Silent Operator

How do you call predators?

Post by Aggie »

I bought an entry level predator call to play around with at my friends ranch because we know coyotes are active on it. The final night of the trip after I gave up on axis doe coming out (plenty of opportunity for white tail but not in season) I started the call and in < 2 minutes a coyote appeared. It happened so fast I wasn't ready at all I hadn't even gotten the window on that side of the blind open...bad hunting mistake!
The coyote trotted in straight for the speaker and immediately realized it wasn't a rabbit and something was up, so he started booking it back to the trees. I thought I managed to get him on the run, he stumbled but never stopped, but after looking around I didn't find any blood or fur.

Since I've never tried it before I just wonder what I could have done to keep the coyote in the field longer. Shove the speaker in a pile of bushes? I know I've seen small motorized decoys you can use. Maybe throw out a hamburger patty? :lol:
bentstick

Re: How do you call predators?

Post by bentstick »

use a cheaper Ecaller and stay down wind a good ways of it,for attraction use the fur shaker or what ever they are called.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

I went cheap, I built one out of instructions online with parts from radio shack. I haven't really been hunting them seriously yet, I've "talked" to a few but none have come out in daylight, and we can't hunt them at night. I purchased one of those cat toys, a ball with a tail, which I plan on introducing to the caller location, to see if maybe that will make them break out into the open.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

once you're busted there usually not much you can do to keep them in view very long. i read that sometimes a bark can stop them, but its never worked for me.

you gotta be ready for them before you hit the switch is about what it boils down to. If there's one right in the area they're gonna come in fast and hard most of the time.

if you're hunting them in close ( decoy/caller under 30-40 yds) try a shotgun. some #4 buck at those distances can really anchor one quick. just make sure you pattern test first like you would for turkey hunting, etc so that your choke is right for your load you're using.

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

I tried the call while sitting in a few other blinds and after not having any luck I wasn't expecting any luck that evening either, I thought a coyote would maybe circle around on the edge of the clearing and scope it out instead of charging right in. Learning experience! The only things I've ever shot with my shotgun are clay pigeons, and that was 10 years ago, but I can definitely see the benefit of using shot.

I thought of those cat toys as well Omega, I'm undecided about them because primarily I'm there to hunt deer and would want to control when the decoy is active so to not scare off the deer. It would still be a good option to have for the weekends we go out to help maintain the property. I probably won't be able to get back to the ranch for a couple of months so I may start looking at the motorized decoys, my caller has an aux jack to plug one in.
bentstick

Post by bentstick »

plant.one wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:56 am once you're busted there usually not much you can do to keep them in view very long. i read that sometimes a bark can stop them, but its never worked for me.

you gotta be ready for them before you hit the switch is about what it boils down to. If there's one right in the area they're gonna come in fast and hard most of the time.

if you're hunting them in close ( decoy/caller under 30-40 yds) try a shotgun. some #4 buck at those distances can really anchor one quick. just make sure you pattern test first like you would for turkey hunting, etc so that your choke is right for your load you're using.

hth
We are back 100-200 yrds,they shy here from being hunted hard and often, I should of added or said" not directly down wind" but cross wind of caller they like to be directly down wind of the prey,swamps have dead deer from winter kill/die off up here,so we try to find one and set up for barks and yips,and feed calls,the wiley bastards are smart but they can be had. Cheers
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

I use an electronic decoy to keep their attention for a few seconds until I can get a shot off.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"