First Hog of 2019

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

der Teufel

First Hog of 2019

Post by der Teufel »

Finally caught up with a hog. They've been rooting up pastures and various lanes all over the place where I hunt, but they've been elusive. I found this boar munching black walnuts under a tree in a field about 3½ hours after sundown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlLiCrHV1dg

300 Blackout shooting 110 grain Hornady VMAX bullets
IR Hunter MKIII 60mm Thermal Weapon Sight
--
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Re: First Hog of 2019

Post by AggieJim »

Nice shot, we have them here but I haven't seen any yet on the property in Central Texas.
Aggie
Silent Operator

Post by Aggie »

Passed a good dozen hogs just north of Huntsville off 45, they were rooting around not far off the highway. Wish I could have taken some but I'm sure that could have resulted in some major pork road kill and a short trip to any of the various prisons there.
Bulldog87

Post by Bulldog87 »

Is that the first Hog you've shot with that round? Just curious as to your preferred 300BLK load for hogs.
oldfrank

Post by oldfrank »

Congratulations and nice video!

It has just about got too hot to hunt in Georgia. I went one day last week anxious to try my new 300 BO pistol. I climbed a tree with a climbing stand before daylight and got soaked in sweat.

When it got light I could see the feeder was pushed over. I had two stout poles wired on two legs and a thinner one on the third leg and they busted that one. Feeder was still sealed up but they broke one of the sockets for the leg off the feeder.
Trail can showed it was pushed over 9 days ago but no picture of a pig doing it but with no food there it was no wonder I did not see a pig.
I had to pour out about 50 lbs of corn so I could take the feeder back to camp and try to fix it. I wanted to get back in a few days with all that corn out plus I pit 100 lbs in a barrel for them to roll around, but it has been middle 90's here and the nights are not much cooler.
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Bulldog87 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:45 am Is that the first Hog you've shot with that round? Just curious as to your preferred 300BLK load for hogs.
I'm shooting 110 grain Hornady bullets. I used VMAX for a while, but decided for my purposes the 110 grain SP bullets were just as effective and they're cheaper.

I'm shooting 20 grains of H110 with those bullets. That's the max published load, I believe. I worked up from 18 grains in .2 grain increments and stopped when I got to 20. It seems okay in my rifle, but I didn't want to push any harder. My shots at hogs are usually around 75 yards, rarely over 125 yards, and never over 150. If they're more than that I move in closer. Hunting with a thermal sight at night offers the ability to do that.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice!!!!
I might be able to get into some hogs this year but I don't have access like that. I hope to get 1 or 2 on my big weekly hunt this year. As a guest at my cousin and buddy's deer lease they will let me take all the hogs I want but I would have to really make some time to go up there and hunt. We'll see :)