Back into it again

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Back into it again

Post by tikkablk »

After nursing my knee from surgery back in September. Have been doing a lot of rehab mountain biking, leg strengthening and walking around at the forestry where I shoot long range targets, test and chrony loads.
The main 300 blackout load testing was 125gr SST running at 1980fps and getting under MOA at 100m.

I only done two small hunting trips so far shooting a few dozen goats with the SST’s with no difference in terminal performance compared to nosler 125gr BT’s, most shots between 10m and 40m, no longer shots yet and haven’t shot a deer with them yet.

Me and the dog have been getting onto plenty of deer 14 last trip and shot 2 yearling hinds, this trip 9 deer spotted all in the bush not in open clearings.

The weather here has been really hot lately get to 38c degrees centigrade by day and 15c during the night and it hasn’t rained in two weeks.
On this stalk the dog winded the deer from camp as I was having my coffee and we were packing up first thing in the morning. The dog gets very impatient waiting for me to get my act together, there’s no real hurry plenty of deer in this area as I normally hunt past this area and leave it for others. By the time we got onto the animals we were only 500m up stream from our camp in a big valley holding goats, pigs and red deer.
Creeping in closer the dog constantly winding on the left face of the valley stream, fresh mark in the stream crossing and deer prints of a stag. Continuing on the dog 7m in front of me he locked up on a 8 point valvet stag 10m in front of him, a was hidden behind a fallen log and all I could see was his legs. Then the stag trotted off up hill until I did a quiet deer call and he stopped behind another tree. I dropped the bolt on my Tikka 300BLK with a Lehigh 168gr CF getting ready for him to rush off knowing where he’d run to he run past the big tree he was hidding behind I cycled the bolt three times in a second or two all landing on his chest dropping him and rolling down the hill stripping the valvet off his antlers. Happy dog happy hunter.

The hardest job was the carrying of boned out meat home, the knees almost back to 100%.
One thing I would like to add running shots aren’t for everyone let alone multiple shots running subs, I’ve had a lot of experience shooting, hunting and knowing all the animals I hunt.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Back into it again

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Good to hear your knee is on the mend. I always enjoy your posts, both pictures and stories, so we can't have you hobbeled up and not out letting that dog work. Nice kill!
Last edited by SwampDog_13 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Love reading these accounts! Keep them coming!!

Congrats on the bull and the successful hunt!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Glad to hear your doing better and always glad to see and hear about your hunts. Great work!
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

Great news all of the way around. You are better and got a nice buck too.