Snake protection boots

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DeanJames

Snake protection boots

Post by DeanJames »

Hi there. One quick question. I got new muck boots for my bday similar to this one at https://bestontests.com/are-muck-boots-snake-proof/, but I'm not sure if they can protected me from snake bites or not? The url above doesn't provide any "real" answer. If you know, please let me know, thanks!
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Re: Snake protection boots

Post by Mike7.62 »

No, standard Muck boots are NOT "snakeproof". Even boots sold as "snakeproof" are not totally so. I used to live and hunt in NE FL, directly across the St. Mary's River from GA, so have a good familiarity with the product. Snake boots will protect from snake bites, but they are not totally snake proof as it depends alot upon how large the snake is and where on the boot the strike occurs. Many strikes occur above the level of protection, especially if you wade through water, and the snake is swimming on top of the water. Regardless of what you may have heard, Cottonmouth's can strike in water and under it too. Also, some of the Eastern Diamondbacks grow to 5-7 feet in length, and can and have struck people on the knee/thigh area.

Bottom line, if you need the protection, buy a dedicated snake boot. They are not total protection, but they are better that a standard LaCrosse or Muck rubber/nylon boot.

BTW, welcome aboard.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

I bought a pair of Rocky's snake boots last fall, real comfortable, i question the leather on the lower sides of the foot whether they will protect or not.....but I'm hoping to not have them put to the test if i can help it, i will likely get some snake chaps to go with them eventually.

Muck boots definately not snake proof.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
FarmDad

Post by FarmDad »

I was born and raised in SE Colorado out on the plains . We have snakes a plenty and never in my life have I owned snake boots . I will put on cowboy style boots before wading into heavy weeds because they keep the stickers out of my socks though .
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I spent the majority of my adult life as a lineman. I had to go into snake infested places almost daily.

I often wore 16 inch climber boots. Thick heavy leather that I think would've protected me from a snake.

But as Mike762 mentioned, could easily get struck above the boot. Especially in hilly terrain. I've heard stories where one of my great uncles was hit in the face with a copperhead that was sunning itself on a low hanging tree limb, and there was one time when I was 30 feet off the ground on the side of a pole and came face to face with a big green snake that was on top of a telephone boot. Only way I could think that it got up there was climbing in a tree that the telephone line went through and got out on the strand and crawled to the pole where it was too small to reach around and got stuck or stranded. I know green snakes aren't poisonous, but they are dangerous when you're gaffed in a pole and you nearly jump off because it took you by surprise. I think I descended that pole in about 3 steps like those log climbing guys. :lol:
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.