Hunting Heritage

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Firewalker41

Hunting Heritage

Post by Firewalker41 »

I started hunting at age 10, I am now 61. My father taught us woodcraft skills, trapping, stalking, and how to hunt. Every year for 50 years i head to the woods and spend 3 to 12 weeks enjoying nature and the serenity that only the deep woods can bring.
50 years ago most people had a favorable outlook on hunters. Today our hunters don't have the time or don't care about the game they hunt. I listen to stories and look at people's game camera's set up at multiple feeding stations.
What has happened? How did we go from a father to son, or grandfather to grandson (granddaughter), growing and learning experience (folklore, rites of passage), to where we are today? How do we pass on this experience to the future? I fear we will lose these things in my lifetime.

Just my ramblings as I get older :lol:
pikeonafly

Re: Hunting Heritage

Post by pikeonafly »

You that's a good question?!! My dad taught me the values of the outdoors. Hunting, fishing and just the love of the outdoors. I instilled this in my children. I am now 66 years old. And my one daughter married an awesome man that loves to hunt and fish. And took my five month granddaughter out on her first camping trip!! Parenting done right. We just need to get back to the basics. Not video games and cell phones!! Kids that's spend time in the outdoors are over all more well balanced seam to appreciate the simpler things in life!
Firewalker41

Post by Firewalker41 »

Yes I agree You or I in this case is the answer. With that being said, my x wife and three daughters were liberals, and had no interest in outdoors. Yes this was my life lesson learned, just because opposites attract is no good reason to breed :oops:
I hold out hope for a single greatgrandson to get papas loot and carry on. :lol:
My second wife hunts with me each year, we are happy :P
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

It is in my humble opinion that anyone that has children has the responsibility to teach their kids how to be self sufficient.

I don't know if it's the area that I grew up in or what, but there is a strong reliance on "self" and deep "dislike" for those that cannot or will not.

My wife cares very little about guns at all. Her Grandfather was shot and killed. And her older brother was shot and also died of complications from being shot, so I can see and understand her inherent dislike for what people do with guns. While she doesn't care a lot about guns, she has seen that there are a lot of bad things in this world and she has her own gun and can use it.

With that said, she understands more of my reason to hunt and to have taught all of my sons how to hunt. The majority of which are grown and have families of their own now.

My daughter in law hates guns. Doesn't even like to be in the room when they're being talked about. I told her that I have a shotgun earmarked for my youngest grandson and she wasn't real happy about it.

She said something along the lines of "at least let me get him out of the womb and raise him first".

I told her that if it was her intention to raise kids, that's always what she'd have, but that I raised men that can care for and protect their family and I have no plans of changing any of that now.

She might not have liked what I said all that much, and maybe that recent conversation got the wheels turning in her head, but she did admit that one of the reasons she first liked my oldest son was because she did feel safe when he was around and knew that he'd take care of them, so I have a little hope that she'll come around. Regardless, Pappaw ain't gonna change and is going to do what Pappaws' do :lol:
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

I agree with teaching and mentoring our children with the outdoors, especially with hunting and fishing.