Bearly a surprise!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Bearly a surprise!

Post by Sig220 »

o I drove up to my sister and brother in laws place in Louisiana for a weekend of hunting. Had a front come through that kept me in a box blind on Saturday as it rained cats and dogs. Saw nothing...no birds, squirrels or deer. The place I hunted the deer usually cross a river to get to my shooting lanes and with the rain the river was up and no one crossed I figure.

So Sunday, I went a different direction and after checking the BIL's lean to stand... death trap, I figured I would still hunt a strip of land between a rice field and a rising bayou. Acorns are everywhere....blackbirds would light in the trees and they would knock them down! Anyway, while sitting against a large oak, a yearling deer came tooling along and passed within 15 feet of me and never alerted to me. I had squirrels jumping from tree to tree within 10 feet of me. It was only 415p and I know there are a lot bigger deer there, so it got a pass. Even saw wood ducks feeding in the bayou! About 45 minutes later, I picked up movement out front coming my way....and as the brush parted I saw........black! Yep, a booboo was coming my way in the woods! Louisiana has restocked black bear and as such there is NO open season on them. If you are caught "bothering" or hurting booboo they have some hefty fines to deter you.

So here I am, hunting for deer and a damn black bear decides to join the party. As he got within about 30 feet of me, I stood up and hollered, "Bear" thinking that just a human voice would scare him. I guess it did but he did not know where I was! So he took off running one way only to reverse and head my way and then climbed a big oak tree like a monkey! He went up about 40 or 50 feet in just seconds! At that point, I decided while he was occupied I would call off the hunt and head out!

Pics came out a little big....booboo is the black thing....in the second pic he is the black thing in the upper right of the pic!
Only other time I have seen black bear in the wild was in Colorado while elk hunting and they were all at a distance. This one was close...too close!
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bearly a surprise!

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You should have stayed still and watched, they can be pretty entertaining. I know they've kept me awake in a tree stand a many of evenings. Just be glad you're not footing the feed bill :mrgreen:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Archery hunting for Black bear, spot one about 200 yards away across a clear cut. Drop my bicycle and pack to get a good look and move out about 50 yards. Decided to try and call it in closer instead of stalk. After watching a while and calling, turns out it’s a sow and cub.

Go back to my bike and pack and find a fresh pile of grizzly crap. Predator calling is always interesting when there are real predators about. :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Dellet, our last walk about on the ridge behind Marysville and the ski hill, we had tracks following us that were LARGE canine. Friggin track was the size of a bear paw! We were on the hunt for a very nice Muley buck spotted earlier in the day. As we approached our parked truck a young fella asked if we had spotted a big wolf he was after. He drove about 1/2 mile up the road when we hear a shot and him doin a happy hollering dance. He indeed had killed this large wolf and buggered our hunt.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TRshootem wrote:Dellet, our last walk about on the ridge behind Marysville and the ski hill, we had tracks following us that were LARGE canine. Friggin track was the size of a bear paw! We were on the hunt for a very nice Muley buck spotted earlier in the day. As we approached our parked truck a young fella asked if we had spotted a big wolf he was after. He drove about 1/2 mile up the road when we hear a shot and him doin a happy hollering dance. He indeed had killed this large wolf and buggered our hunt.
I guess just need to look at it as how many deer did the kid save you for next year?

Any late season hunts down that way you can do?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

TRshootem wrote:Dellet, our last walk about on the ridge behind Marysville and the ski hill, we had tracks following us that were LARGE canine. Friggin track was the size of a bear paw! We were on the hunt for a very nice Muley buck spotted earlier in the day. As we approached our parked truck a young fella asked if we had spotted a big wolf he was after. He drove about 1/2 mile up the road when we hear a shot and him doin a happy hollering dance. He indeed had killed this large wolf and buggered our hunt.
Praise The Lord, one less wolf !

( if only the rest of the country knew the damage those game wasters do on the herds...)

Like dellet said, more deer for you in the future.

It stinks that it messed up the days hunt, but should be better hunting for the future.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !