2018 Hunting results

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2018 Hunting results

Post by rebel »

6 Norma BR, 103 gr ELDX, 30 degree down angle shot. Went about 100 yards, easy bloodtrail.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
USCS

Post by USCS »

I took an 80lb “doe” last Saturday with the Blackout, dang deer grew two little spikes after I shot it!
Used the Barnes Tac-TX 120 grain over 19.8 grains of 300MP. The shot was about 123 yards,
Entry was high just behind the shoulder clipped the spine, quarter sized exit. Deer was DRT,
Had it run I’m comfortable there would have been a blood trail. I’m happy with this bullet and would be interested to hear what kind of performance people are getting from the 120 Tac-TX.
loveha

Post by loveha »

UP Michigan 10 point at 100 yards with 120gn Barns TAC-TX and my 16" DD.
First shot was perfect, jumped in the air like you wouldn't believe. Trotted about 10 yards left noticeably hurt, put another one in him anyways. Started trotting away the way he came in and put two more in as he was moving. Fell over 20 yards from where I shot him initially. Did I need those extra 3 shots, no, but why not. Autopsy was devastating. Lungs were mush, bullet through heart and out the top of it. Didn't need a knife to get it out. All 4 shots were in a fist sized group which surprised the hell out of me. Had only one pass through that I could tell. I could only see 5 holes but didn't try to discern if any of them were bigger from another shot.
Knew he was big, had no idea he was a 10 point though till I walked up to him which I didn't waste anytime doing because I knew he was dead.

Next up, late antlerless firearm season at the end of the month. Got a nice 8 in Oct with my bow already.
Last edited by loveha on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F1 Firearms Receiver Set ~ 300BLK 12.5" Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel ~ Dead Air Sandman Ti
Daniel Defense M4V11 ~ Dead Air Sandman S
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice job on all the kills guys!
Keep the posts coming and good luck to all of you out there still hunting :)
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Copied from the maker thread:

More warm blooded proof these bullets get the job done. This was my furthest shot on game with this bullet by a long shot, and that pun was totally intended. My first two deer with this bullet were taken inside of 25yds, if not even closer. This guy walked out into my lane at 200yds out and slowly made his way towards me, at about 100yds he knew something wasn't right and just stopped facing dead towards me. We had a stare down for what felt like an hour with him throwing his nose up in the air and doing tons of sniffing, tail down and twitching side to side. I knew he wasn't going to take another step closer so I made the call that when he gave me the broad side shot on his way back into the woods I'd take the shot. I'm very confident in the accuracy of this bullet out to 200yds so I was comfortable lobing it out to him. He turned, I squeezed, then that familiar thud of a sub smacking meat, and a near vertical mule kick let me know the Maker bullet did its job, even though the shot was a little higher than I wanted. I heard him pile up about 30yds into the thick stuff. Now he's in a cooler in the bed of my truck :mrgreen:

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Subsonic skunk pig poked at 60 yards with one of my cast bullets. It's always amazing how loud the THWACK is compared to the shot.

Exit wound. Tumbled, maybe?

For those who are not familiar with javelina, their delightful aroma comes from this thing, located on top of the back in front of the hips.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You're not kidding about that subsonic thud bbp, nothing like it.

I tell you what, I think our hogs smell bad enough. I don't want none of them non eating, stinking sons of a guns.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

People who don't eat javeliva just have never been hungry enough. :lol:

Seriously, wash your hands between skinning and handling the meat and it's good. It'll be delicious pecan smoked jerky by Sunday.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

You starting smoking on Tuesday then? :lol:
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

SwampDog_13 wrote:You starting smoking on Tuesday then? :lol:
One of the common recipes:
Leave it whole, place peeled onions inside, lots of pepper on the outside. Tie up the legs around an old weathered 2X6, and rotate over a very low fire for about 12 hours. When the meat pulls of easily, cut the cord, slide it off into a hole in the ground, and eat the board.

I really don't like messing with them, but about once a decade I just can't seem to help myself. Sort of like keeping a big sheepshead when the redfish aren't biting.