2018 Hunting results

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2018 Hunting results

Post by SwampDog_13 »

bangbangping wrote:
I really don't like messing with them, but about once a decade I just can't seem to help myself. Sort of like keeping a big sheepshead when the redfish aren't biting.
Alright, now your talking my language.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice kills guys! I love hearing about the subsonic kills :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I will throw some pics in here from my 4 county big buck contest I'm holding at the shop. The 13 pt is a muzzleloader kill, the 8 pt is 30/06 the 10 pt ( over 200 lbs ) with a 25/06.
All three of these deer came from a county just NW of me that is on a more conservative season than my home county - it shows. That plus the mountainous terrain of that county. Remember, my house about 850 ft, my shop about 1200, just 15 minutes west it's 1800 feet and 30 minutes NW is 2800. It gets steep quick. Deer are harder to hunt and have a chance to grow.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I posted this in another thread. but will add it here.

The last Deer I shot was a 9 point buck 22NOV2013.

Finally got this girl. Using REX 2 Maker bullet 200gr, 5.5gr red dot Powder, out of a AAC model 7.

Entered just behind shoulder into heart and thru lung and shoulder on the side in the picture.

Entrance and exit internal.

She was 80lbs field dressed. She still made it about 40 yds before hitting dirt. I had a good exit wound, but very little blood trail.

I must be getting old. It about killed me to drag her to my truck. :oops: :lol: wheeze, gasp, wheeze, gasp, etc..[
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Cleaned up and ready to mount.

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

SwampDog, that looks good. Do you boil or use another process?
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Thanks bang! I use the boil method but I try to make sure it never boils. I like to try and keep it just shy of boiling for as long as it takes, every skull seems a little different in my experience so far.
Last edited by SwampDog_13 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

SwampDog_13 wrote:I use the boil method but I try to make sure it never boils. I like to try and keep it just shy of boiling for as long as it takes, every skull seems a little different in my experience so far.
It looks great, do you use peroxide to whiten it? I also go for the boil method, it just seems better to me. The bugs are out of the question due to cost and of course trying to keep them alive between use, the power wash method seems to work, but I worry about the small bones in the nasal cavity, and it just flying across the ground and smashing up agains a wall if not done right.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Thank you. yep, peroxide hair dye mix I get from my sister in law. I ran out on this one, that's why he still has a little yellowing at the base of his head.

I used my pressure washer last year to get the last little bits and pieces out of the nooks and crannies after boiling but it cost me a little super glue and time putting some of the bones back together :mrgreen: .
thepalmhq

Post by thepalmhq »

I got this medium sized doe on opening morning. There were two together and I hoped to have the second one hang around for my youngest daughter to shoot, so shot this one in the neck at about 40 yards with a Sierra 125 gr Pro-Hunter over 18 gr of IMR4227. She was DRT and her companion did indeed hang around for a while, then left. My daughter did get a shot a while later at another doe, but went low and shot right underneath it -- I think with some more coaching and practice she'll connect well next time. Harvest count was up considerably here in Wisconsin, as we got a nice snow the night before opening day.

Last edited by thepalmhq on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.