Worst successful hunting trip?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Worst successful hunting trip?

Post by bangbangping »

Reading kanook's "what else could go wrong" post made me think of a few of my hunting trips. Wondering who has the best "what else could go wrong" story that ended up with meat in the freezer.
Kanook

Re: Worst successful hunting trip?

Post by Kanook »

Well since you asked, on the way to my sister's house acter having the Deer fiasco my truck that I bought 12/27/17 (it's a 15 GMC 2500HD)threw a code and a check engine light. It said emissions failure and needs service in 175 miles or mph reduced to 65mph. I ran the code and it's my DEF tank (diesel exhaust fluid) that's faulty. I'm only 750 miles from home. So I'm sitting here at a dealership in North Georgia (Hayes) waiting for my truck to be fixed instead of trying to fill my freezer and recover a 150 GD.

Wife reminded me to add that the TCM went out just before we left and had it overnight for $750
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Without going into a long tale of woe, I'll offer some tips to a better hunt experience:

1. Don't buy a Gerber knife with changeable blades. Just don't. It may seem like a good idea but it's not.
2. When bowhunting, don't shoot javelinas that spook the deer you're about to draw on. Especially don't do it twice. One stinky, flea and tick infested skunk pig is more than enough for anyone. Zero is the correct amount.
3. If you ignore #1 and 2, don't try to swap the blades on the knife with bloody hands.
4. If you think you may be speeding on rough trails to get a gash across your palm sewn up, make sure your truck has a good battery tie-down. A battery bouncing into a fan blade makes a mess and has the potential to leave you stranded.
5. Bring a credit card or lots of cash. You never know when you'll have to pay a ranch hand to clean your game, get your hand sewn up, and buy a new battery and fan blade all in the same day. You really want to be able to do all three.
6. As always, exercise and stay in shape. And wear comfortable boots. Lugging a truck battery and fan blade several miles one-handed is harder than you'd think.

Follow these rules and you stand a better chance of an enjoyable hunt. If you do end up with a bunch of javelina meat, it makes really good jerky.
Kanook

Post by Kanook »

So it seems that we all have a good tale to tell. Hope that your hand healed well.

I'm done from the dealership Hayes is a great bunch of people. It was the DEF tank and it was under warranty. So now I'm sitting in the woods waiting.
300 Blackout.....American as Apple Pie