Hog & Coyote Down

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

der Teufel

Hog & Coyote Down

Post by der Teufel »

Hi Y'all!
First post from someone who's been reading a while. Thought I'd join in and participate. Here's a video from a recent hunt in which I managed to take a hog and a coyote.
Rifle is a Radical Firearms upper with a lower I assembled. The only semi-special item is a Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger. Some folks have expressed concern that the trigger may not be as long-lasting as a Geissele, but I'm not shooting hundreds of rounds each month and so far it's doing all right. Bullet in this case was a Hornady 110 grain VMAX, although when I shoot up all of those that I have I'm going to switch over to the Hornady 110 grain SP 'cuz it's cheaper and seems to wallop the hogs just as well. I may try other bullets in the future, but that's where I am at this particular moment.

I'm using an IR Hunter MKIII 60mm thermal weapon sight, which I very much like.

https://youtu.be/_2pZDLOjFWQ
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Re: Hog & Coyote Down

Post by AggieJim »

Howdy, nice video. I'm in Coryell County, Texas north of you.
Smurky
Silent Operator
Location: Democratic Peoples Republik of Dane County Wisconsin

Post by Smurky »

Very nice video, thanks for sharing
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Yup, agree with the others, nice video. I take it you guys don't retrieve the hogs, are they not healthy? Or are there just that many in your area? I go to a friends place out in Daingerfield, there are a few sounders, but I've come home skunked a couple times. Also, I noticed the video shifted a couple times, was it a different wavelength you went? Didn't seem to be magnification changes.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Omega wrote:Yup, agree with the others, nice video. I take it you guys don't retrieve the hogs, are they not healthy? Or are there just that many in your area?
We cut off the leg quarters and backstraps, but leave the rest of the carcass. On occasion we've shot more than we feel like cutting up, but not too often.
Omega wrote:I go to a friends place out in Daingerfield, there are a few sounders, but I've come home skunked a couple times. Also, I noticed the video shifted a couple times, was it a different wavelength you went? Didn't seem to be magnification changes.
We shifted position once for the hog, and once also when setting up for the coyote. The coyote video was much less clear because it had rained and that cooled everything off. The background didn't stand out very well because everything was more or less the same temperature, making for very poor thermal conditions.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

der Teufel wrote:
Omega wrote:Yup, agree with the others, nice video. I take it you guys don't retrieve the hogs, are they not healthy? Or are there just that many in your area?
We cut off the leg quarters and backstraps, but leave the rest of the carcass. On occasion we've shot more than we feel like cutting up, but not too often.
Omega wrote:I go to a friends place out in Daingerfield, there are a few sounders, but I've come home skunked a couple times. Also, I noticed the video shifted a couple times, was it a different wavelength you went? Didn't seem to be magnification changes.
We shifted position once for the hog, and once also when setting up for the coyote. The coyote video was much less clear because it had rained and that cooled everything off. The background didn't stand out very well because everything was more or less the same temperature, making for very poor thermal conditions.
Ah, ok; it seemed like you would shift into another mode like IR vs thermal, at the same location.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~