Finally, after 4 year break. Edit: 5 year break.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally, after 4 year break.

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Good job and Congratulations!
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote:Well done. Four years is too long.

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the pics.
Just checked my records. It has actually been 5 years.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

gds wrote:

can you see them now?
Yep. Google was just showing a gray circle. Looks like a perfect shot.

What made you decide to go with the Maker instead of your cast?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

gds wrote:

5 years is probably about the age of your youngest kid, see what how much free time you have when you finally stop trying to turn your baseball team into a football team :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote:
gds wrote:

can you see them now?
Yep. Google was just showing a gray circle. Looks like a perfect shot.

What made you decide to go with the Maker instead of your cast?
I keep both in the rifle and swap out one or the other each outing, when I remember. :oops: yesterday morning was the makers turn.

Plus I want to remake my hollow point pins on my mold to make a deeper hp.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dellet wrote:
gds wrote:

5 years is probably about the age of your youngest kid, see what how much free time you have when you finally stop trying to turn your baseball team into a football team :mrgreen:
Lol. He is actually seven.

It was a combination of factors. Lost my main hunting ground, new owner who hunts. new job 5 years ago. Hard time finding someone to let me hunt property. Work and life keeping me busy during the season.

Just so happened a long time customer had 20 acres 2 miles from my house. She used to let her ex son in law hunt it, but her daughter and he are divorced and she never liked him anyways. Her words. :shock:

She gave me permission to hunt. So I figured great opportunity to get back into it.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally, after 4 year break. Edit: 5 year break.

Post by Mike7.62 »

gds wrote:EDIT: Checked my records. The last Deer I shot was a 9 point buck 22NOV2013. So it was 5 years since I shot one.

Finally got one. Using REX 2 Maker bullet 200gr, 5.5gr red dot Powder, out of a AAC model 7.

Entered just behind shoulder into heart and thru lung and shoulder on the side in the picture.

Entrance and exit internal.

She was 80lbs field dressed. She still made it about 40 yds before hitting dirt. I had a good exit wound, but very little blood trail.

I must be getting old. It about killed me to drag her to my truck. :oops: :lol: wheeze, gasp, wheeze, gasp, etc..

Yup. Big difference from when I was a pup and full of vinegar and now. I found out a few years ago when in my mid fifties that I wasn't young anymore. I have since figured out a good deer drag solution. Plastic sled from the Co-op, tied to the back of my four wheeler does the trick. That sled goes over leaves and small logs as if they were snow. Saves me from having my heart attack me, though rolling the deer onto the sled can be a challenge at times.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

When gds posted this, I realized it I had a dry season last year, I have related the problems I have with my deer ( or lack of ) on my property. When a friend offered me a chance to hunt his stand a mile from me, I jumped on it.
The field in veiw from his back yard looks like the Serengeti in the evening - deer everywhere.
Wed. evening I saw no deer but had about 30 turkeys go to roost around me, that was noisy. Thanksgiving day at around 7am, This guy stepped out to check a scrape I heard him make before sunrise. 100 yard, 30 degree down angle shot, 103 Eldx from a 6 BR. Put it on the crease where the neck meets the shoulder, recovered about 100 yards away.
I could not pull him to the nearest extract point, a dirt road 100 yards away. Field dressed him and was able to drag. Forgot my deer loader ( 2 x 8 board ). :roll: Walked the half mile to retrieve the truck and as I was trying to rig something to lift him in the bed, someone pulled down the road.
An attractive young woman asked if I needed help, I told her what I was doing and that I would move so she could go on to her family dinner. She insisted on helping, and we loaded his big butt in the truck.
I thanked her and revisited the " don't judge a book...." rule in my head.
So yeah, I'm with you Gary.....getting old is a bitch.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

rebel wrote:When gds posted this, I realized it I had a dry season last year, I have related the problems I have with my deer ( or lack of ) on my property. When a friend offered me a chance to hunt his stand a mile from me, I jumped on it.
The field in veiw from his back yard looks like the Serengeti in the evening - deer everywhere.
Wed. evening I saw no deer but had about 30 turkeys go to roost around me, that was noisy. Thanksgiving day at around 7am, This guy stepped out to check a scrape I heard him make before sunrise. 100 yard, 30 degree down angle shot, 103 Eldx from a 6 BR. Put it on the crease where the neck meets the shoulder, recovered about 100 yards away.
I could not pull him to the nearest extract point, a dirt road 100 yards away. Field dressed him and was able to drag. Forgot my deer loader ( 2 x 8 board ). :roll: Walked the half mile to retrieve the truck and as I was trying to rig something to lift him in the bed, someone pulled down the road.
An attractive young woman asked if I needed help, I told her what I was doing and that I would move so she could go on to her family dinner. She insisted on helping, and we loaded his big butt in the truck.
I thanked her and revisited the " don't judge a book...." rule in my head.
So yeah, I'm with you Gary.....getting old is a bitch.
Nice one rebel. Nice of that young lady to help.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Mike7.62 wrote:
gds wrote:EDIT: Checked my records. The last Deer I shot was a 9 point buck 22NOV2013. So it was 5 years since I shot one.

Finally got one. Using REX 2 Maker bullet 200gr, 5.5gr red dot Powder, out of a AAC model 7.

Entered just behind shoulder into heart and thru lung and shoulder on the side in the picture.

Entrance and exit internal.

She was 80lbs field dressed. She still made it about 40 yds before hitting dirt. I had a good exit wound, but very little blood trail.

I must be getting old. It about killed me to drag her to my truck. :oops: :lol: wheeze, gasp, wheeze, gasp, etc..

Yup. Big difference from when I was a pup and full of vinegar and now. I found out a few years ago when in my mid fifties that I wasn't young anymore. I have since figured out a good deer drag solution. Plastic sled from the Co-op, tied to the back of my four wheeler does the trick. That sled goes over leaves and small logs as if they were snow. Saves me from having my heart attack me, though rolling the deer onto the sled can be a challenge at times.
I have a sled on order, but no four wheeler. But I may have to rethink that. I was sure wishing I had one the other day.