Finally, after 4 year break. Edit: 5 year break.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally, after 4 year break. Edit: 5 year break.

Post by bangbangping »

Glad you got a chance to hunt, rebel.

Since you had your 6BR, you should have just poked him in the eye and saved your old butt another 100 yards of walking. :lol:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

nice work you two hooligans!

congratz to you both
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:Glad you got a chance to hunt, rebel.

Since you had your 6BR, you should have just poked him in the eye and saved your old butt another 100 yards of walking. :lol:
He was moving, walking forward slowly so when that front crease hit the crosshair junction I let her go. The downhill was so severe I was a little worried about a head shot - wouldn't try that moving anyway. The way this stand was constructed, 10 more feet and it would have been a no go. And yes geometry and hunting really do mesh and make sense 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Processed her today.
12lbs Ground with fatback
2 lbs marinating for spicy Jerky
2 lbs marinating for mild jerky
The rest cut into steaks
One backstrap set aside for the lady who gave me permision to hunt her property.

Had my kids helping, got everyone with a job to do while processing.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Good deal. Mines aging in the cooler on ice.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

gds wrote:
Mike7.62 wrote:
gds wrote:EDIT: Checked my records. The last Deer I shot was a 9 point buck 22NOV2013. So it was 5 years since I shot one.

Finally got one. Using REX 2 Maker bullet 200gr, 5.5gr red dot Powder, out of a AAC model 7.

Entered just behind shoulder into heart and thru lung and shoulder on the side in the picture.

Entrance and exit internal.

She was 80lbs field dressed. She still made it about 40 yds before hitting dirt. I had a good exit wound, but very little blood trail.

I must be getting old. It about killed me to drag her to my truck. :oops: :lol: wheeze, gasp, wheeze, gasp, etc..

Yup. Big difference from when I was a pup and full of vinegar and now. I found out a few years ago when in my mid fifties that I wasn't young anymore. I have since figured out a good deer drag solution. Plastic sled from the Co-op, tied to the back of my four wheeler does the trick. That sled goes over leaves and small logs as if they were snow. Saves me from having my heart attack me, though rolling the deer onto the sled can be a challenge at times.
I have a sled on order, but no four wheeler. But I may have to rethink that. I was sure wishing I had one the other day.
When I first used the sled, I just used it as a drag, and it works well in that regard. The four wheeler just makes it "sixty plus" friendly.