Single shot .38sp/.357mag hardware Store Gun
No votes

Total votes: 15

gds
Silent But Deadly

What would you do

Post by gds »

Fun question.

I finally am getting a chance to hunt for the first time in 4 years. My word, it has been aggravating, not being able to hunt.

I only hunt subsonic, anyone who has been on here a little while will recognize that.

Here are my options this year with pros and cons. 50 yds will be the average shot. Using them in current configuration without changing scopes. Deer loads will be 245 gr NOE cast hollow points. Or if the 1 in 10 twist I will have to make some 200gr hollow points.

AAC Model 7. 2-7 scope

Pros: Quietest of my 300blk guns. When I use it I carry with me into the woods subs from 100gr up to 245 gr and can easily take tree rats, coons, foxes, and of course deer.

Cons: Not an AR, and with my suppressor, really long

16 inch 1 in 10 twist AR. 1.25 to 4 illuminated scope. Thin keymod handguard.

Pros: Very first 300whisper/300blk. smooth shooting great rifle. Can shoot up to 200gr with excellent accuracy.

Cons: up above 200gr it can get touchy with accuracy and stability. Also suppressed it is really long, and front heavy

8.5 inch 1 in 8 twist AR. 1 to 4 illuminated scope. 9 inch quad rail with angled grip.

Pros: Can be used on either my SBR lower or pistol lower

Cons: Little heavy, quad rail a bit bulky.

7.5 inch 1 in 8 twist AR. Mini Red dot scope. 8 sided 9 inch keymod handguard

Pros: keymod handguard is very comfortable, can be used on either SBR lower or Pistol lower.

Cons: red dot scope seems to always have the battery die on me at the worst possible moment(granted that is really on me). Would like to have at least 3x magnification for those right at dusk shots.

3.75 inch 1 in 10 twist. Mini red dot scope. Realistically this would be, just because one can, does not mean one should.

Pros: short and because I can. Can be used on either SBR Lower or Pistol Lower.

Cons: Even suppressed, not quiet. Have to make specialty load.

Honorable mention:

.308 Savage Stevens 200. 18 inch threaded barrel and 3x9 scope.

Pros: .308 245gr sub loads work great in this rifle. Probably even quieter than my Model 7 with subs.

Cons: Have to re zero scope to sub loads.

ETA:

.38sp/.357mag hardware store gun.

Discuss!
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: What would you do

Post by bangbangping »

Can't say what you should do, but I'm going with the Model 7 with the same bullet (in purple) in a few weeks. If you're going sub, you might as well go quiet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I guess this will have to be a process of elimination. So depending on your sense of honor, I would have to rule out the bolt action Luger with the red dot. :shock:

I can think of a few people, mostly politicians, that deserve to be shot with something like that, but no game animal deserves to be shot with it. :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dellet wrote:I guess this will have to be a process of elimination. So depending on your sense of honor, I would have to rule out the bolt action Luger with the red dot. :shock:

I can think of a few people, mostly politicians, that deserve to be shot with something like that, but no game animal deserves to be shot with it. :P
Hey now Dellet. that is a pure work of art. I put a lot of time and effort into creating that masterpiece. A game animal should feel the utmost honor to be taken with it. 8)
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

gds wrote:
dellet wrote:I guess this will have to be a process of elimination. So depending on your sense of honor, I would have to rule out the bolt action Luger with the red dot. :shock:

Hey now Dellet. that is a pure work of art. I put a lot of time and effort into creating that masterpiece. A game animal should feel the utmost honor to be taken with it. 8)
I'd love to see some detailed pics and description of that...thing. :shock:

Have to agree with dellet, though. And maybe feral cats. :lol:
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bangbangping wrote:
gds wrote:

I'd love to see some detailed pics and description of that...thing. :shock:

Have to agree with dellet, though. And maybe feral cats. :lol:
it a is a.38sp/.357 mag single shot bolt action pistol. Minus the Barrel, pistol grip and scope mount. All other parts made from parts at lowes. 9mm barrel carefully chamber by hand with a drill bit. REceiver made from 1 inch black pipe and caps, bolt, literally made from a bolt. Firing pin from a nail, trigger and hammer from steel pieces bought at lowes. lower portion made from 1x1 steel tubing. springs bought at lowes. Very very accurate. Have fired full power .357 mag loads from it. Since that picture. Had the barrel threaded. so it suppresses well with .38sp loads.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I won't say that he can't be successful, but he's already taken an elk with that pistol, so he should use something else.

Always a lot of pleasure using something you built yourself, and that's a true build. Not just assembling a bunch of parts like an AR.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

TFF! And how true.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I have held that.... thing, in my hands. While a redneck work of absolute art, not bad for a boy raised up NW but fed grits by a beautiful wife to make him what he is today, I still have to go with the M7.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.