tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2018 Hunting Trip

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Omega wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:
bangbangping wrote:Good times!

Looks like that buck's mom had a fling with a goat. :lol:
Hahaha yeah it is going to make a good European mount once I get my hands on a pressure washer to clean the head up in preparation for the mount :)
I just boil the skull, but that turned down horn may make it impossible to just soak the head.
I looked at the boiling method and after comparing it to the pressure washer method I chose the ease, efficiency, and speed of the pressure washer route. Also you are right, with that weird horn boiling would be a bit problematic.

Once it is all pressure washer cleaned I plan to wrap and tape the horns in plastic bags and do a peroxide soak for whitening and killing off any bacteria and funky stuff that would be left in the cracks and crevices.

With that horn it will make a cool european mount. I'm going to try and surprise the ol' lady with it along with framed pictures of the hunt. She did a great job as a 1st timer with this trip :)
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

tallburnedmidget wrote:I've never done one before BUT after a good bit of research I think I prefer the speed and ease of the pressure washer approach. I found a video here where a guy does it with skin on and everything. They speed up the filming and at the end of the video they show that the entire thing with skin ON took 13 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mWF3FcdiQ
I'm guessing the raincoat is a key part of the necessary equipment. :mrgreen:
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

bangbangping wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:I've never done one before BUT after a good bit of research I think I prefer the speed and ease of the pressure washer approach. I found a video here where a guy does it with skin on and everything. They speed up the filming and at the end of the video they show that the entire thing with skin ON took 13 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mWF3FcdiQ
I'm guessing the raincoat is a key part of the necessary equipment. :mrgreen:
Hahaha yeah I imagine so.

I take my giant hunting/processing coolers and buckets to the do-it-yourself car wash each year after processing so I can clean them thoroughly and quickly with ease.

I always come back drenched from all the back spray of the water gun, but damned if you find a quicker or better way to both soap wash and rinse 3-4 giant coolers and 4 buckets that have been holding meat and bloody ice, etc.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
Omega wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:
Hahaha yeah it is going to make a good European mount once I get my hands on a pressure washer to clean the head up in preparation for the mount :)
I just boil the skull, but that turned down horn may make it impossible to just soak the head.
I looked at the boiling method and after comparing it to the pressure washer method I chose the ease, efficiency, and speed of the pressure washer route. Also you are right, with that weird horn boiling would be a bit problematic.

Once it is all pressure washer cleaned I plan to wrap and tape the horns in plastic bags and do a peroxide soak for whitening and killing off any bacteria and funky stuff that would be left in the cracks and crevices.

With that horn it will make a cool european mount. I'm going to try and surprise the ol' lady with it along with framed pictures of the hunt. She did a great job as a 1st timer with this trip :)
When I decided to try one, I seen the carwash videos, they had skinned and taken off as much as they could first though. I decided against it because it has the potential of breaking the thinner bones, and I worried it would smash against the wall if hit right.

http://imgur.com/a/3DxiGRd
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

TBM, please take this as campfire, good ol' boy derision - not a personal attack at all.
I noticed the "ol' Lady" didn't need the cannon to shoot those dinky little Texican deer. She's deadly :mrgreen:
I wouldn't call her green at all. Reckon you fellers outta be taking notes?
All in good humor, nice write up.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

I wish that I more deer on my property in Central Texas.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Omega wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:
Omega wrote: I just boil the skull, but that turned down horn may make it impossible to just soak the head.

When I decided to try one, I seen the carwash videos, they had skinned and taken off as much as they could first though. I decided against it because it has the potential of breaking the thinner bones, and I worried it would smash against the wall if hit right.

http://imgur.com/a/3DxiGRd
Man that mount looks great!

Which ever way mine goes down I'm not sure when I'll be able to start it. I some work to do to get it all lined up and going... on top of the billions of other things I have on the list ahead of it :)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

rebel wrote:TBM, please take this as campfire, good ol' boy derision - not a personal attack at all.
I noticed the "ol' Lady" didn't need the cannon to shoot those dinky little Texican deer. She's deadly :mrgreen:
I wouldn't call her green at all. Reckon you fellers outta be taking notes?
All in good humor, nice write up.
Hahhaa I hear ya :)

I will probably have to take notes from her from now on :D

I need to make some time to troubleshoot what is going on with my trusty 300BLK rifle I usually hunt with. It was doing fine 2-3 weeks before we showed up to the trip. I just don't know when I'll be able to make some time to really work on it. After I get that sorted out I won't "need" the 30-06 cannon but will still probably use it when I don't care to track in the dark :D

Both her and I are excited to get some more hunting under her belt. I'm really glad she got to experience getting skunked first hand. While hunting things just don't always go your way :)