There are still doubters.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: There are still doubters.

Post by gds »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Well all I can say is that every deer in this picture was taken with the 300BLk and a few were even taken with subsonic bullets. All ethically killed and pretty much every part of the deer used rather than thrown away so that seems pretty ethical to me as well :)

So if anyone says it can't be done just point them to my coat that would keep my toasty warm... to bad down here with the temps I maybe get to wear it like 1-2 days a year hahahaha
LOL, that is so cool.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

The 300 Blackout will do the job with the right ammo and proper shot placement. There is nothing new about this.

The 7.62X39mm is the ballistic brother to the 300 Blackout does the job. I have 100% confidence in my Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm. I have the same confidence in a 300 Blackout.

Poachers in Brazos County, Texas where I grew up were well known for poaching with 22 Rimfires because they were quieter. Thankfully the game wardens ended that there.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

This thread has been an interesting and worthwhile read.

On hunting ethics: To add to other points many have said which I agree with, I'd add: 1-However you feel about the guy, I love Ted Nugents attitude toward his game. In spite of some wording ("beast"), he clearly gets hunting ethics. 2-Someone said we do not need to hunt. While that's true, there is the double-point of, if you eat meat from the grocery store, someone is slaughtering it for you, and, by hunting yourself, you are maintaining natural, pre-historic survival skills.

On the 300: I've loved it since it was a whisper and still do as a Blackout. People who dislike it, don't understand its concept and have probably never owned it or given it an honest/fair chance of showing its limitations and capabilities. I've seen it compared to a 30 Carbine, 7.62x39, and 30-30. All of those are true to some extent, but miss it to some extent too. There's just not as much open-mindedness as there used to be, and a lot of theoretical analysis...
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Another thing that doesn't help the cause is what happened 2 hunting seasons ago here. It seemed that we had more "I made a good shot but lost the deer" threads than any other year previously. This is the way I see it -

* No, you made a lousy shot.
* You didn't do your research with bullet selection.
*You can't shoot for sh&t.
Trust me, every macho SOB than walks through my store's door in the next 4 months is the best shot, killed the biggest deer, made the longest shot than anyone in the room. Mostly men, a few lady hunters are almost as bad. Cannot stand the TV hunting show statement having killed a deer - " Well, I'm on the board." What damn board?, no list like that exists around me.
As far as not being able to shoot, how many folks with all calibers go "sight in" once a year and head to the woods?
"My job doesn't allow me to take many days off." or "The nearest range is x miles from here." No excuse. You want to play the game? Gotta do the homework. Plenty of deer are wounded each year with shoulder mounted cannons good for white tails to grizzlies. I prefer cartridges that are more suitable for the deer we hunt. The 300 Blk can be said to be on the bottom of that power list. Not so.
If more looked at the numbers, took their load and discovered ( for supers ) where the yardage, minimum expansion and the magic 1000 lbs of KE occured, they would have a general idea of max range.
As dellet said in another thread, one of the most popular bullets used for Blk hunting is a Barrier blind self defense bullet.
It has worked well for folks that can shoot, understand anatomy, ect. I don't happen to believe it's the best choice all around.
So the question is, are hunters that use the 300 Blk and fail our worse advertisement? Maybe.
Does stuff happen in the field we can't control? Yes, can happen with a 45/70 or a Blk.
To sum up - get to the range and shoot. You know if you need to get better, minute of baseball doesn't cut it.
Take some wet phonebooks with you and test bullets.
Only take a shot you can pull off 100% of the time.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

rebel wrote:Another thing that doesn't help the cause is what happened 2 hunting seasons ago here. It seemed that we had more "I made a good shot but lost the deer" threads than any other year previously. This is the way I see it -

Trust me, every macho SOB than walks through my store's door in the next 4 months is the best shot, killed the biggest deer, made the longest shot than anyone in the room. Mostly men, a few lady hunters are almost as bad. Cannot stand the TV hunting show statement having killed a deer - " Well, I'm on the board." What damn board?, no list like that exists around me.
As far as not being able to shoot, how many folks with all calibers go "sight in" once a year and head to the woods?
"My job doesn't allow me to take many days off." or "The nearest range is x miles from here." No excuse. You want to play the game? Gotta do the homework. Plenty of deer are wounded each year with shoulder mounted cannons good for white tails to grizzlies. I prefer cartridges that are more suitable for the deer we hunt. The 300 Blk can be said to be on the bottom of that power list. Not so.
If more looked at the numbers, took their load and discovered ( for supers ) where the yardage, minimum expansion and the magic 1000 lbs of KE occured, they would have a general idea of max range.
As dellet said in another thread, one of the most popular bullets used for Blk hunting is a Barrier blind self defense bullet.
It has worked well for folks that can shoot, understand anatomy, ect. I don't happen to believe it's the best choice all around.
So the question is, are hunters that use the 300 Blk and fail our worse advertisement? Maybe.
Does stuff happen in the field we can't control? Yes, can happen with a 45/70 or a Blk.
To sum up - get to the range and shoot. You know if you need to get better, minute of baseball doesn't cut it.
You are right on the money! I see an example of not being able to shoot a lot with conceal carry training! I can't tell you how many come through classes that shoot minute of cardboard cutout! I don't think it's a 300 BO problem as much as it is a macho attitude! People these days just flat out can't shoot, and they're too proud to admit their flaw and go out and practice!
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

rebel wrote:Another thing that doesn't help the cause is what happened 2 hunting seasons ago here. It seemed that we had more "I made a good shot but lost the deer" threads than any other year previously. This is the way I see it -

A probable good example of a Barrier blind self defense bullet is the Corbon 300 AAC Blackout 125gr MPR. The only issue I see with this round is availability and cost. Otherwise I would not hesitate to use for hunting.

https://shopcorbon.com/index.php?route= ... uct_id=440
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

AggieJim wrote:

A probable good example of a Barrier blind self defense bullet is the Corbon 300 AAC Blackout 125gr MPR. The only issue I see with this round is availability and cost. Otherwise I would not hesitate to use for hunting.

Aggie, corban doesn't make bullets, they make ammo. That round looks like a Nosler 125 ( I would bet you a case of beer it is ) and it most definitely was designed for hunting. Not barrier blind, it begins expanding on contact with anything. The Barnes 110 tac is barrier blind and will go through the car door, hit the driver, expand and not hit the passenger - at least in theory. The 125 Nosler is a good bullet but I find the SST to expand a bit better, bit lighter jacket.
Both are hunting bullets. Plenty of folks here have used the 110 Blk tip to kill animals, but they either know how to kill (whole bunches is a good example) or they got lucky. I always prefer to err on the side of heavy. Just don't fall for the advertising concerning this caliber. Statements such as barrier blind and terminal performance are all the catch words of glossy gun mags pimping everyone's product. Real world results exist here. Thanks for your input, good to see new fellows getting involved.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:
AggieJim wrote:

Aggie, corban doesn't make bullets, they make ammo. That round looks like a Nosler 125 ( I would bet you a case of beer it is ) and it most definitely was designed for hunting. Not barrier blind, it begins expanding on contact with anything. The Barnes 110 tac is barrier blind and will go through the car door, hit the driver, expand and not hit the passenger - at least in theory. The 125 Nosler is a good bullet but I find the SST to expand a bit better, bit lighter jacket.
Both are hunting bullets. Plenty of folks here have used the 110 Blk tip to kill animals, but they either know how to kill (whole bunches is a good example) or they got lucky. I always prefer to err on the side of heavy. Just don't fall for the advertising concerning this caliber. Statements such as barrier blind and terminal performance are all the catch words of glossy gun mags pimping everyone's product. Real world results exist here. Thanks for your input, good to see new fellows getting involved.
I think that’s actually a Sierra TMK. I’ve seen independent write ups and the bullet does not have a boattail unless they changed it. Black hills uses it also. Haven’t done much of my own testing on it, but above 2000 fps. It does come apart. If that’s the case it’s good for about 100 yards in a 16” barrel, based on 2250 fps. I’m not exactly a fan of match bullets used for hunting, but Berger seems to get away with it.

Corbon used to identify the bullets, looks like they quit doing that. The 110 is a Barnes, pretty sure I saw the 125 listed as the TMK before the website was updated.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

If that is a TMK, all the more reason not to hunt with it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:If that is a TMK, all the more reason not to hunt with it.
We've been down this road before. Would not have been my first choice two years ago, and with the new bullets that have come on the market since then, it just moves farther down the list.

viewtopic.php?t=99886
dellet wrote:So lets take the emotion out of it and look at the science. Below are the gel tests at the link provided.

They look reasonably impressive, but look at the numbers.

Results from 2278 fps at 4 yards

Results at 1905 at 4 yards

Not an expert but here's what I see.

If you can shoot a deer at 4 yards, 2250 fps +, the wound will be devastating. At 104 yards, 1900 fps, not so much.

If you look at the recovered pieces parts of the slower moving bullet you get an idea of what is happening. at least I think I do.

The bullet does not expand, it tumbles and comes apart. Basically the plastic tip breaks off when the bullet tuns sideways and that causes the jacket to separate.

Hunting with this bullet has you counting on a convenient design flaw to make it work, and that flaw will only work if it happens to tumble.

Just an opinion.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.