There are still doubters.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: There are still doubters.

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

One of the biggest problems I have seen as of late is the race to see who can kill an animal at the longest distance. I see shows where people are trying to connect at 800+ yards. Those that can do it should not be bragging or televising it because it encourage other without the same skills to try it, often leaving an animal to die a miserable death.

I happened to be watching a show where they were lobbing round after round at an animal hoping to connect. That sends the wrong message to younger, inexperienced hunters.

I am not a hunter and have not hunted since 2001. I don't look down on it or those that do, it just didn't appeal to me anymore like it once did so I quit. I encourage people to hunt for food regularly but I don't agree with those who hunt solely to get a trophy. And those that kill caged or chained animals just so they can say they killed something should be shamed at every turn.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
withoutremorse42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by withoutremorse42 »

dellet wrote:
withoutremorse42 wrote:Whenever I see the threads on FB about how weak and ineffectual 300 Blk is, I drop this. No, I didn't take the shot, I chased the damn moose all over a mountain and eventually scared it back to where my brother had dropped me off from a skiff. He was sitting on shore right where he let me out and shot the damn thing with a Rem 115gr UMC round at 100 yards.

Now I know you’re lying.

Remington quit making the 115 UMC because the tips bent, you can’t kill anything with a bullet that has a bent tip.

That bullet was also a match type bullet, and you can’t kill anything but paper with a match bullet.

You can’t kill anything except thin skinned animals less than 150 pounds with the Blackout.

And the big tell is that you had to chase the moose all over the place before your brother shot it. I could probably kill a rhino with the Blackout if I had someone who would chase it until it fell over from exhaustion.

Is that even a legal method of take, most states don’t allow running deer with dogs, is it legal there if you run them with humans?

I’m surprised they didn’t arrest you at the game check station when you showed them the rifle used. Everyone knows it can’t be done.

In all seriousness, a well placed shot generally shuts up a lot of nay sayers. The cartridge has its limits, but I find my own limitations to be more restrictive than the cartridge. Good for your brother.
Thanks for the chuckles, don't get those a lot on the internet. I really wish I was in good enough shape to run down a moose...even a calf!
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

ugh... just saw this on another forum today...

i blew this nonsense squarely out of the water... but this is the kind of crap that keeps showing up from the great unwashed. :roll: :roll:

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote:ugh... just saw this on another forum today...

i blew this nonsense squarely out of the water... but this is the kind of crap that keeps showing up from the great unwashed. :roll: :roll:

Just so people know why is that statement a problem?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

I just wanna know what the guy's YouTube channel is so I can go get a good laugh! lol
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote:

i know that you know why without even seeing it...

but id have to say this is the primary reason... :shock:

case shown measures 1.360"
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote:
dellet wrote:

i know that you know why without even seeing it...

but id have to say this is the primary reason... :shock:

case shown measures 1.360"
One of those bullets will not be in the case at that length, the other will be something like .030" into the lands.

So one is impossible, the other, with a max load could be very dangerous.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

dellet wrote:
One of those bullets will not be in the case at that length, the other will be something like .030" into the lands.

i did stipulate in my response - where i found the quote - that i was specifically addressing the vmax and that i didnt have the other bullet on hand to make any comparison with.

thank you for sharing your knowledge on the other.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote:
dellet wrote:

i did stipulate in my response - where i found the quote - that i was specifically addressing the vmax and that i didnt have the other bullet on hand to make any comparison with.

thank you for sharing your knowledge on the other.
People don't want to believe that a bullet as short as the VMax can be set to a jam in something with as long of throat as the Blackout. I checked my notes for that bullet in my bolt actions. Jams at 2.170", I load to 2.165" with .125" in the neck. I Have actually ran that long in the AR's also.

Loading that bullet to 2.260" and a max load will cause a hard jam in the lands until it starts to set the bullet back. Pretty good way to get a pressure spike.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Well all I can say is that every deer in this picture was taken with the 300BLk and a few were even taken with subsonic bullets. All ethically killed and pretty much every part of the deer used rather than thrown away so that seems pretty ethical to me as well :)

So if anyone says it can't be done just point them to my coat that would keep my toasty warm... to bad down here with the temps I maybe get to wear it like 1-2 days a year hahahaha