Best bullet over 115g for hunting?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RKB731

Re: Best bullet over 115g for hunting?

Post by RKB731 »

I have used the Sierra 125 grain SP with success on whitetail deer. I have a 16" barrel for supers that yields 2309 fps. with this bullet. This is a bullet recovered from a deer shot at 60 yards. The deer was quartered away with the bullet entering at the back of the left rib cage and exited through the right shoulder. The bullet was recovered under the skin.

I have loads worked up for the 150 grain Speer Deep Curl, but have never used it on game. It travels at 2023 fps. and accuracy is outstanding. The 125 grain Sierra has a higher kinetic energy due to the higher velocity, but the 150 grain Speer has a higher Taylor Knock Down value.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

RKB731 wrote:I have used the Sierra 125 grain SP with success on whitetail deer. I have a 16" barrel for supers that yields 2309 fps. with this bullet. This is a bullet recovered from a deer shot at 60 yards. The deer was quartered away with the bullet entering at the back of the left rib cage and exited through the right shoulder. The bullet was recovered under the skin.

I have loads worked up for the 150 grain Speer Deep Curl, but have never used it on game. It travels at 2023 fps. and accuracy is outstanding. The 125 grain Sierra has a higher kinetic energy due to the higher velocity, but the 150 grain Speer has a higher Taylor Knock Down value.
The new Speer 150 Gold Dot for Blackout was very well thought out. Loaded at mag length it’s about .010”-.015” off the lands. Has a bearing surface on the short side and expands very well at velocities normally considered low. At 2100 fps it would equal the 125 at 2300 for energy and the way the bullet is made, that speed is easily obtained in a 16” barrel, with care speeds in the low to mid 2200’s are easy.
This hit gel between 1650 and 1700 fps. Double caliber expansion.

I have had MOA or better loads out to 200 yards with both a 1/5 twist at 275,000+ rpm and a 1/10 at 150,000 rpm. So it handles a wide range of speeds and holds together under in flight stress.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

slyfox1561 wrote:Best bullet over 115g for hunting? We all know that the 110g black tips are a favorite, but I’m looking for something with a little more punch! Pick your poison... Barnes 120g tac tx, Hornady 125g sst, or sig 120g ht!?! Which would you chose and why?
No love from anyone here but me for the Speer TNT 125. My favorite bullet for all things blackout. It’s cheap, it’s accurate, and it kills chit!!

I killed a big ol’ doe with one at 202 yards with my model 7 three days ago.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George