Most accurate round for my 300 aac setup

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Sider84

Most accurate round for my 300 aac setup

Post by Sider84 »

Hi all. I just built an Ar pistol for deer hunting chambered in 300 aac. The barrel length is 12 inches and the twist rate is 1:7. I’m curious what type and size of rounds people use in this setup. So far I’ve only shot the Hornady Black 110 grain vmax. The accuracy was ok. Sometimes I was able to get one MOA but most of the time not. I got a box of Hornady 135 grain ftx which I’m going to try next. I figure the heavier load might stabilize better in a 1:7 twist.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Most accurate round for my 300 aac setup

Post by rebel »

Sider84 wrote:Hi all. I just built an Ar pistol for deer hunting chambered in 300 aac. The barrel length is 12 inches and the twist rate is 1:7. I’m curious what type and size of rounds people use in this setup. So far I’ve only shot the Hornady Black 110 grain vmax. The accuracy was ok. Sometimes I was able to get one MOA but most of the time not. I got a box of Hornady 135 grain ftx which I’m going to try next. I figure the heavier load might stabilize better in a 1:7 twist.
Damn son, you have work to to do. Tons of supersonic possibilities, what works best for you is just that. Plenty of info here for you to start developing test loads. Give 125 ssts a try and the 150 gold dots.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

do you reload? or will you be relying strictly on factory ammo?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

If you will be using factory ammo,would suggest that you try the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX first.
Both my guns absolutely love this factory load. In fact,I have not come up with any combo that is more accurate by handloading.
Five shots <.500" @ 50yds is the norm. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Mine is a 12.5" bbl and thankfully I have yet to really fond a load that was terrible!

If you reload, My load with 300MP @ 2300 using a 110 shoots under 1.5 MOA. Another load with H110 and a 125 SST is 2050 and shoots very well. My favorite plinking load is a 147FMJ and IMR4227.

If I had to choose one loading for my gun, right now, it would be a 125 Sierra HP and H110. This load has shot as well as my 16" full stocked guns.

As motioned, you need to discover what YOUR barrel likes as they are all different, and that's the fun of it!

Good luck!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Trial and error because every gun, every shooter and every weather condition is different. What works for my gun may not work for yours. And depending on weather changes what is accurate now might gut change again.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Are there any known reloading recipes that just seem to work well for many people? Not saying don’t be safe and just arbitrarily load something without working up, but don’t we know what “might” work?

For me and my 10 inch A.R., 19 grains of H110 and a speer TNT was pretty darn accurate. I think it was 20 grains and a Barnes 110 black tip that I started with that was also very accurate.

Not saying those were the exact details of either of those loads because I don’t remember specifically every aspect of the load off the top of my head but that’s pretty close to providing somewhere to consider looking. Or working up to.

And I remember shooting them both in a buddies gun which happened to be from the same manufacturer and they shot equally well In his rifle. I know for a fact both barrels were cut with different chamber reamers.

I’m not trying to start any trouble. I’m just asking?

Thanks.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Since the OP has never responded as to whether he reloads or not there is only one suggestion. Buy a box of every 300 Blk super on the shelf and try them.