A cripples Roar

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

A cripples Roar

Post by tikkablk »

Hi all, with my knee and leg still taking me out of action for big the trips and not letting injury stuff the roar up, I've resorted to the quad bike off tracks on a mates property backing onto DOC land. Spent a couple of days glass deer with most of them in hard to access spots and not interested in shooting them on the grass paddocks. I would rather roar up a stag in some scrub just off the track. We spotted some rubbish spikers with 2" antlers but couldn't get them into a shootable recoverable position. On the second to last day i managed to shoot a 6 pointer with a broken antler during the velvet period a few months ago, he was 180m across a gully from me and 80m down off the track. I setup off the side of the track shooting of a day bag and stuffed the shoot up shooting him just under the eye instead of between the eyes, he was wobbling about then gave him another in the neck to finish him off.
I hopped my way back the up the track to bike and to the spur i shot the stag on. Then i heard a stag roar i gave a roar back and the stag came in closer for another roar, i replied so did he still coming in closer again, putting the binos on him he was the 13 pointer we were watching all week but he was still a young stag with potential and would be a really good trophy in another year or two if someone else doesn't get him. Anyway this stag came right up to the track then he bolted down the hill a bit.
Time to go down and sort my shot stag out, pushing through the scrub, i run into that same 13 pointer 5 more times at one stage i seen his body for a bow shot if i had a bow. We even had a wee roar off at each other for a few minutes and roared up a 8 pointer at the same time. The bullets used was Nosler 125gr BT.One very cool morning.

My broken 6 pointer

13 pointer in the distance, I roared him up from 800m away, he already had 3 hinds to spread his genetics around and seen one of his sons a 9 pointer with 7 hinds.

Heres a vid of the big boy coming up to the bike.
https://youtu.be/rGe6DBcVSWc
Last edited by tikkablk on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: A cripples Roar

Post by John A. »

Already looks like a trophy to me. He's a big boy.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

As always good job tikkablk and your stories are entertaining. :mrgreen:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

Very nice!!!!