Hunting load recomendations?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Hoyboy

Hunting load recomendations?

Post by Hoyboy »

Hey new to the form. I just got a single shot 300 blk out. This will be a youth rifle for deer hunting. What do you recomend for sonic and subsonic loads? There is a lot of great info on this sight on the subject. But most i have read are limited to rounds that feed well in a ar-15 platform. Since this is a single shot is there anything outside the box you would try?
Thanks!
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Hunting load recomendations?

Post by tikkablk »

For subsonic hunting i highly recommend Lehigh Defence 194gr Max Expansion and 168gr Controlled Fracturing and for supers the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX is a proven killer.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Outlaw State is what a lot of fellows are having good results with here. I've shot them subsonic, very accurate. If I was going for the ultimate heavyweight it would be the Acme 265 gr DS special. Damn thing with go through and break everything in it's path. The shoot good to. Sub MOA good.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

Another vote for the Barnes Vortex 110 gr blacktips for supers if you don't handload. If you do, it opens up a whole realm of possibilities.

Barnes on the right, Speer 130 gr Varmint hollow point handload on the left. Both shot into water filled milk jugs at 150 yards.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Do you have a suppressor that will work on this rifle? The benefit of subsonic are with cans.
Hoyboy

Post by Hoyboy »

I am just learning how to reload. I've done about 200rds so far for my 260 rem. I haven't bought any dies for the 300 blk yet. As for a can. I'm waiting on the ATF for a silencerco harvester.
lilwoody

Post by lilwoody »

My son and I harvested 3 deer and a hogs this year with the 300 go. The loads I worked up for the deer were 17.8 of H110 under Nosler 125 grain bonded bullets with a aver velocity of 2140 fps. They all preformed very well. The hog is where I started looking for a bit better performance. I used a 150 Sierra Game King with 16.8 grains of H110 and a velocity of 1900 fps. I hit the 125 pound hog with a double lung shot at 20 yards and it just made it mad. Second shot was at less than a foot and hit just below it's left eye, exiting at the bend of its right lower jaw just before it ran into my crotch. The first bullet was recovered under the hide on the opposite side of the entrance. It was slightly deformed by the rib it hit but had no expansion and retained 93% of its weight. It appeared to have tumbled through instead of punching through. My son though hit his hog with the same Nosler bullet but out of a AR10, it went down like it was struck by lighting with a fist size exit wound in the opposite shoulder.
I have since worked up loads for the 125 grain bonded Nosler using Lil Gun. With 20 grains of this powder I'm getting average 5 shot strings of 2310 fps. Almost 200 fps better than the 110. The 150 Game Kings are only 100 fps faster than the 125s with a Lil Gun powder charge of 17 grains.
My take on the BO is faster is better. The deer all dropped where they stood with heart lung shots. Although there were little sign of temporary wound trauma we see with the same 125 Nosler in the 7.62x51 being pushed at 3000+ fps. The deer we have opened up shot behind the fold of the shoulder have the lungs turned into soup. Almost the same as my friends 300 win mag does with 150 core locs.
On our hog hunt there was another 300 bo used with 150 grain Hornady factory ammo used. He had similar results as I did except he was in a tree stand and the hog had to be tracked. It was also a double lung and was found over 100 yards away.
Long story short, 300 bo with light, well constructed bullets is a great short range deer gun but for hogs, unless you wait for a head shot bring a 308 or better.
Last edited by lilwoody on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I have had great results with the 125 gr SST and 18.3 gr of H-110. mostly one shot kills on our small white tails and hogs. my shots are all under 100 yds and all the 125s completely passed thru the animal leaving about a one inch exit hole. the lungs are red mush. if its a head or spine shot, they drop in their tracks. a chest shot they usually run 10 20 yds.
peace through superior firepower
Hoyboy

Post by Hoyboy »

Lots of good stuff to try here thank you! Anyone try the hornady 190gr sub-X? Fairly cheap vs some other hunting loads.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Hoyboy wrote:Lots of good stuff to try here thank you!
Careful how you use the info provided. You will notice that there are no COAL given and would be your best guess. Best guesses lead to blown up guns and potential injury to the shooter. Make sure to start low and work up for supers while watching for pressure signs.