My shortest roar/rut ever and a new first

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

My shortest roar/rut ever and a new first

Post by tikkablk »

I've been looking forward to this this time of the year when the red stags are vocal and give the game away. My last trip in the hills two weeks ago I had a fall and twisted my leg injuring my knee in the dark making my way back to the tent.
This trip two work mates and another planed a 4 day hunt into the mountains chasing stags. I was the guide and had spent many hunts in there as my mates had never been into this area before. We left the trucks early in the morning, walked for 40 minutes and started the 8 hour climb to the open mountain tops. But 1 hour into the climb I had to call it quits as my knee was giving me grief, the brain wanted to go and not the body. I said for the other guys to carry on without me, they had maps and GPS of my hot spots for deer.
I hopped my way back down hill and had a rest on a bluff overlooking a river and slips. I heard 2 stags roaring and I replied then I heard rocks tumbling on a slip on the other side of the river 160m away, then I spotted movement goats at first then I pulled the bino's out to ID properly. No not goats it was a small mob of Austrian Chamois nannies 7 of them. Blackout time, range 140m with 13 MOA to dial up using a Lehigh 168gr CF, minimal down hill shot 3 degrees. I powered up the magnification to 10 and picked out the youngest animals and load the chamber. Pop pop double tap the first Chamois and down she goes then pop on the second nanny with a wobble for a few seconds before sliding down the slip. The other animals were still feeding not even fazed at what had just happened and one was still bedded down on top of the slip dozing off.

At a guess I'm the first person in New Zealand if not the world to shoot a Chamois using a subs in 300 Blackout, if not its a first for me.

The Chamois slip

Chamois nannys

Previous trip red hinds

blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: My shortest roar/rut ever and a new first

Post by blaster »

great hunt! too bad about the knee. why the first on shooting a Chamois with subs? are the shots usually too far?
peace through superior firepower
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

blaster wrote:great hunt! too bad about the knee. why the first on shooting a Chamois with subs? are the shots usually too far?
In Austria where they originated from the 243 is the smallest caliber allowed to be used and here in New Zealand most hunters use large caliber rifles for distance and kinetic energy. Also in our country hardly anyone is using a 300 blackout for hunting.
There are guys thinking that’s a quiet gun I’ll get one to, then buy factory non expansion subsonic ammo and shoot a few goats and a deer or two, the deer run off to die 2km from where they were shot. They sell the gun and say it’s no good, when in fact it was the wrong projectiles and bad shot placement.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

tikkablk wrote:
blaster wrote:great hunt! too bad about the knee. why the first on shooting a Chamois with subs? are the shots usually too far?
In Austria where they originated from the 243 is the smallest caliber allowed to be used and here in New Zealand most hunters use large caliber rifles for distance and kinetic energy. Also in our country hardly anyone is using a 300 blackout for hunting.
There are guys thinking that’s a quiet gun I’ll get one to, then buy factory non expansion subsonic ammo and shoot a few goats and a deer or two, the deer run off to die 2km from where they were shot. They sell the gun and say it’s no good, when in fact it was the wrong projectiles and bad shot placement.
I race you to the first Thar shot with 300blk.
Your right there is very few hunting with it. I'm getting a few people into down Southland as a youth gun. They think getting the young ones into 223 as a first deer gun. Why do that to a young fella give them a rifle incapable of a clean chest shot.
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

Walkers Bay wrote:
tikkablk wrote:
I race you to the first Thar shot with 300blk.
Your right there is very few hunting with it. I'm getting a few people into down Southland as a youth gun. They think getting the young ones into 223 as a first deer gun. Why do that to a young fella give them a rifle incapable of a clean chest shot.
Thinking of going next month for a bull tahr in the Rangitata area if my knees better.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

That was a severe downhill shot. You continue to impress tikka! Great hunting and hope your leg heals up fast.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

Good shots.

The pup looks proud of the result.

300 BLK yes

223 no

223s are used here in Texas by some hunters but I tried it for deer hunting with older bullets. It left a lot to be desired.

However that said I may let my children use a 223 once their marksmanship is solid and then only with very select ammo for whitetail deer here.