.30-30 bullets in supersonic loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dpetrlak

Re: .30-30 bullets in supersonic loads

Post by dpetrlak »

I've tried the 135 or 140gr (can't remember) Midway repacks, (really think they are Hornady FTX) and struggle with seating depth. Loaded up a few with dies set for some 150gr SST's and while they fit the Go/NoGo the DON'T chamber.

I need to try seating them deeper, but need to check the powder charge. I gave up using H-110 as it apparently doesn't like compressed loads, and have had some better success with CFE-BLK.

Haven't given up, but the much rounder Ogive seems to be the issue.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

dpetrlak wrote:I've tried the 135 or 140gr (can't remember) Midway repacks, (really think they are Hornady FTX) and struggle with seating depth. Loaded up a few with dies set for some 150gr SST's and while they fit the Go/NoGo the DON'T chamber.

I need to try seating them deeper, but need to check the powder charge. I gave up using H-110 as it apparently doesn't like compressed loads, and have had some better success with CFE-BLK.

Where H110 fails, 300-MP excels in my humble experience.
dpetrlak

Post by dpetrlak »

20X11 wrote:
dpetrlak wrote:I've tried the 135 or 140gr (can't remember) Midway repacks, (really think they are Hornady FTX) and struggle with seating depth. Loaded up a few with dies set for some 150gr SST's and while they fit the Go/NoGo the DON'T chamber.

Well it was recommended, but apparently it doesn't like compressed loads. Also the book says CFE-BLK is a little faster for about the same grains.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

dpetrlak wrote:
20X11 wrote:

Well it was recommended, but apparently it doesn't like compressed loads. Also the book says CFE-BLK is a little faster for about the same grains.
really? where did that info come from?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Yes, you will need to find the depth where they stay out of the lands. If you don’t have a way to measure, or a comparator, you can seat one long in an case without primer and powder then slowly work the bullet down until the round will chamber. It will seem pretty short.

If they are fitting in your gauge, but not the chamber, there might be a different problem and that would be good to also figure out. If there was powder in the case, you might have compressed it so far that the case bulged.

As for powder choice, the CFE will be safe, in that you probably won’t be able to get enough powder in there to blow anything up. Velocity will be on the low side, so if your planning on using these to hunt it may be an issue.

Shooters World Blackout or 1680 would both probably give you better velocity and be easy to work with.

H110 used correctly would probably give the best velocity, but it’s easy to get in trouble with it if you’re not used to substituting bullets.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Hogbuster

Post by Hogbuster »

I have been using Berry's 150 gr FN 30/30 plated bullets they function fine no load failures.
Berry's says 1900 fps is max, I have pushed them to 2200 fps with no problems.
They make a good cheap range bullet.
I have loaded them with LIL gun, CFE BLK, H110, IMR4198 and IMR3031.
Accuracy is very good from my 16" 5R 1-7 twist barrel. I haven't used them for hunting so
I do not know if they expand well but they are a lot cheaper then the 300AAC bullets Berry's
is selling. This spring I will try some expansion testing with BG and get some data.
Of all the powders CFE BLK was the best, I was surprised that 4198 and 3031 worked as well
as they did. The bolt locked back on empty mag for all loads, no problems with timing.