DS special killing power

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: DS special killing power

Post by cwlongshot »

dellet wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:My TROY 300 seems to have quite a short throat...

These would not chamber in that gun...

I may need to pull the barrel and make a cast to see what I have. My other three 300's are longer for sure.

I haven't fired it THAT much yet. But when I tested the 135G loads (3 shots) they strung badly. But the 110's have all been great. My buddies 125 SSTs where fine too, shooting well. He seats to the cannalure. Mine with exact same powder charge also strung badly. But mine are seated longer good amount above the cannalure.

Previously, I only needed to worry about the OAL numbers. Now I'll need to be more o give conscious and mark my loadings. Initially, looks like anything above 1.60 is not gonna work in the TROY.

The above pic is a FACTORY Barnes 110 TAC-TX

The above pic is my own W/135g FB HP Sierra. It jambs rifling.

CW
Different bullets will measure different with the comparator. It is not designed to measure exact, it is meant to give numbers to compare.

If you want an idea of if that chamber is short use a 220/240 SMK. Depending on how you size your brass they will jam around 2.270”.

That Barnes will load to around 2.420”

There are a lot of bullets that can’t load to 2.260”
Come on man... :shock: (I have had TWO cups of coffee today.) :mrgreen:

I have had and used this Stony Point tool for probably 10 years now... Before that I had a steel version, for some 10-15 years before... I could be wrong... but I know what it is. :roll: :roll: :roll:

What it is, for me is a solid repeatable reference. Once you know the chamber dims you can get SOLID and repeatable numbers as to what will fit and what will not. By simply knowing the difference between the two.

I know your trying to help, but one would think you knew, more than a few of us have experience to bring to the table... This may be a new saddle here but its my OLD horse its going on... :roll: :shock:

My god, OF COARSE different bullets, measure differently...they are different!! :lol: I used the stony point gauge with a modified case to get a idea of depth already... But I'll be soon making a creosafe chamber cast and I will KNOW EXACTLY what I am working with.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

cwlongshot wrote: Image

CW
I load with that same bullet and it's accurate and deadly on game!
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

cwlongshot wrote:
dellet wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:My TROY 300 seems to have quite a short throat...

These would not chamber in that gun...

I may need to pull the barrel and make a cast to see what I have. My other three 300's are longer for sure.

I haven't fired it THAT much yet. But when I tested the 135G loads (3 shots) they strung badly. But the 110's have all been great. My buddies 125 SSTs where fine too, shooting well. He seats to the cannalure. Mine with exact same powder charge also strung badly. But mine are seated longer good amount above the cannalure.

Previously, I only needed to worry about the OAL numbers. Now I'll need to be more o give conscious and mark my loadings. Initially, looks like anything above 1.60 is not gonna work in the TROY.

The above pic is a FACTORY Barnes 110 TAC-TX

CW
Different bullets will measure different with the comparator. It is not designed to measure exact, it is meant to give numbers to compare.

If you want an idea of if that chamber is short use a 220/240 SMK. Depending on how you size your brass they will jam around 2.270”.

That Barnes will load to around 2.420”

There are a lot of bullets that can’t load to 2.260”
Come on man... :shock: (I have had TWO cups of coffee today.) :mrgreen:

I have had and used this Stony Point tool for probably 10 years now... Before that I had a steel version, for some 10-15 years before... I could be wrong... but I know what it is. :roll: :roll: :roll:

What it is, for me is a solid repeatable reference. Once you know the chamber dims you can get SOLID and repeatable numbers as to what will fit and what will not. By simply knowing the difference between the two.

I know your trying to help, but one would think you knew, more than a few of us have experience to bring to the table... This may be a new saddle here but its my OLD horse its going on... :roll: :shock:

My god, OF COARSE different bullets, measure differently...they are different!! :lol: I used the stony point gauge with a modified case to get a idea of depth already... But I'll be soon making a creosafe chamber cast and I will KNOW EXACTLY what I am working with.

CW
My mistake. I got confused when you said you would not be able to load "anything above 1.60".

The reason I suggested the Matchking bullet as a standard for comparing, is that instead of going through the trouble of dis-assembly and cerosafe, the chamber was designed around the 220/240 to be .010" off the lands at 2.260". That allows you to basically make a go/no-go gauge based on your brass and the lands. That is something that a lot of people don't know, and I thought might be helpful to know.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Understood,

I'm pretty much my intent. (Once I know a solid number) 1.60 is my number of my compactor that i KNOW will feed and not be into the rifling... it might well be longer, but I KNOW it aint any shorter/less. :)

LOVE the help and I know you have allot of knowledge to share.

Bob,
I like it too, only taken one Coyote so far but it was impressive. (NO BLOW UPS!) I was worried about feeding, but its been fine so far. My RARR shoots them like a laser beam! I'm hoping that this new TROY likes them.

Right now its shooting my 115 Lehigh CC loaded full of MP300 into touching holes/dime sized groups @ 50 yards. (Snow too deep out at the 100/200 traps. :)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Akgun&Ammo
Silent Operator

Post by Akgun&Ammo »

I too appreciate the knowledge...

haven't even started loading yet.. and already learned more info

Chris
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

rebel wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:Awesome job!

Any chance you do it with a Lehigh ME and a CF? :D
Well, that's a lot of Que so it might be a while. I wouldn't shoot a deer with a 194 ME square on the shoulder as those bullets weren't designed to penetrate. That would be a good tutorial and how not to use the bullet. I thought about doing just that but chose the big Red's instead. I have about 4 customers that have given reports to me about subsonic hunting and the bullets tried with both failures and successes. The ME and Maker bullets are ribcage/lung poppers, they expand so fast that they don't do so well on large bones IMO.
I've just listened with an experienced ear, I've not tried any on animals.
I've had the flat shoulder blade of a doe stop the 194gr Lehigh ME. I also lost a doe that I shot mid shoulder with one so I know they don't penetrate the smaller flat bone of a deer :(

I agree that it would be a great tutorial/test to showand that was why I was asking :)

I'd like to see the CF though to see if it fractures before or after the shoulder bone. This would be super helpful to know in the case that a mid shoulder shot was taken or ended up being the location from a shaky shot :)

I can say that the 115gr CC on 80-90 pound does doesnt split up until about 3/4 of the way through the deer which was not good for me.
The 110gr CC was right on through the shoulder blade bone and no matter the placement (bone or not) it EXPLODES and splits up as apposed to just splitting like the 115gr. Total vital devistation! It just seems to be susceptible to Lil'Gun's heat so I may need to get a pound or 2 of H110 and go back to it for my 16" barrel. It also has a published 2k expansion speed so not good for my SBR.

Your tests are awesome and much appreciated :)
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

Any idea how this bullet will work on a rib/lung shot? Will it tumble as well with out hitting a big bone first?
Thanks
Jay
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Jay66 wrote:Any idea how this bullet will work on a rib/lung shot? Will it tumble as well with out hitting a big bone first?
Thanks
Jay
In my tests Jay, it will almost certainly turn into a turkey turd , ie a J shape, encountering an animal. The exit on this test was a 2 x 3 gash.
Edit - there is no magic bullet, not one that will do all you ssk it to do. Ultimately, it's up to you to put it on the sweet spot. Some penetrate bone, others expand rapidly. Not saying any one is better than another, but if you cannot adapt to shooting lungs behind the shoulder, this is an option.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.