First subsonic kill using Lehigh Defense ME’s - Link to pics added

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Gunzer

First subsonic kill using Lehigh Defense ME’s - Link to pics added

Post by Gunzer »

This bullet did exactly what the mfg represented which had also been the the story of many others I’ve read about.

Over the following load:

9.2gr W296
OAL 2.100
A mild crimp is a must for magazine fed ammo

1,107 FPS from an 8” 1-7, suppressed (Omega)

A younger 8 point presented a slight quarter away stance at 35 yards. From my ground blind on shooting sticks, I dropped the hammer. The firedot reticle I use hovered right behind the front shoulder. The buck’s reaction, combined w such a light recoiling & quiet rifle made me feel as if I didn’t use enough gun. While the buck knew he’d been hit with something, he seemed to scamper off under control. The adrenaline dump was incredible nonetheless!

Zero blood

He dropped no more than 50 yds away. That bullet entered behind the right shoulder, turned the heart and lungs into mush before resting inside the hide between the opposite shoulder blade. The bullet opened up like a broad head. The recovered bullet had flesh pieces snagged within the copper fingers of this expensive projectile.

I look forward to using this round in future hunts. Link to pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WMOpT
Last edited by Gunzer on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: First subsonic kill using Lehigh Defense ME’s

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Congrats!!!!

No blood presents a big challenge and I run it to it a lot. Get good with tracking which means starting before you take the shot. If you are lucky and have time to really take a mental snapshot it is huge!

I have a good phone and I have it ready to take a wide 2-2.5 zoom (not zoomed in much) recording once the animal starts approaching a shooting position. I just hit record and then concentrate on the shot. I never move the camera/phone once the shot is taken because the deer running to cover is so fast that I may loose the deer in the video before it gets into brush or an unviewable position so I just make sure I have good stationary camera position to begin with.

This has been INSTRUMENTAL in me recovering about 50% of my 300BLK kills. They seem to run about 60-120yds on average and blood is scarce if available at all. The video lets me see the rocks, trees, etc. they run infront/behind/next too and we often find first sign of the light blood trail about 30-40 yds away from impact site.

Just keep at it and perform ANY practice that will help increase the chance of recovery.
TKO
Silent Operator

Post by TKO »

Congratulations on a well placed shot!
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

Congrats on the deer. I've experienced the same with the ones I've shot this year. Little to no blood for the first 40-50yrds and then you have to find it. The last deer I shot I had to bring my dog in to track it, it ended up going in the total opposite direction than I thought once it entered the woods. Pass through shot, little entry hole-big exit but mid body on both, both lungs destroyed and still ran 125yrds or so.
Jay
Gunzer

Post by Gunzer »

Deer are incredibly strong animals. Their post shot behavior continues to amaze me.
Last edited by Gunzer on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Gunzer wrote:Deer are incredibly strong animals. They’re post shot behavior continues to amaze me.
amen to that.

other than the usual hunched jump, the buck i took this year hardly acted wierd with a 450 bushmaster put into the 10 ring - until about 40 yds later anyway.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

Gunzer wrote:This bullet did exactly what the mfg represented which had also been the the story of many others I’ve read about.

Over the following load:

9.2gr W296
OAL 2.100
A mild crimp is a must for magazine fed ammo

1,107 FPS from an 8” 1-7, suppressed (Omega)

A younger 8 point presented a slight quarter away stance at 35 yards. From my ground blind on shooting sticks, I dropped the hammer. The firedot reticle I use hovered right behind the front shoulder. The buck’s reaction, combined w such a light recoiling & quiet rifle made me feel as if I didn’t use enough gun. While the buck knew he’d been hit with something, he seemed to scamper off under control. The adrenaline dump was incredible nonetheless!

Zero blood

He dropped no more than 50 yds away. That bullet entered behind the right shoulder, turned the heart and lungs into mush before resting inside the hide between the opposite shoulder blade. The bullet opened up like a broad head. The recovered bullet had flesh pieces snagged within the copper fingers of this expensive projectile.

I look forward to using this round in future hunts.
Nice job! No pictures?

I'm going out with this round tomorrow for the first time. It's bucks only here tomorrow, but Saturday will be an either sex day. I am really interested to see how it performs.
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

Gunzer wrote:Deer are incredibly strong animals. They’re post shot behavior continues to amaze me.
Absolutely right!

Check out this video at the 14:00 mark.

https://youtu.be/wKvgHGsySus?t=14m
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Its a fabulous bullet for sure...

CONGRATULATIONS!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot