Had to talk to the neighbors

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Had to talk to the neighbors

Post by rebel »

As some of you know, I hunt here on my land and don't have much opportunity to get land elsewhere. Checked the camera and filled up the feeder, opening day of ML season was a washout. Thought I may hunt this evening. Checked the card with anticipation ad last week was full of deer pics. All I had was about 60 pics of the neighbors dogs ( crazy dog and cat lady ) , 8 pics of two kids from the farm next door. One of the little sh*ts had his face right up to the camera. They are Laotian and I don't know if he had ever seen a trail cam before. They caused know mischief that I have found, but I don't need them standing in my corn pile.

After 12-13 years of both these things happening all the time I decided to confront them. The neighbor across the road wouldn't come to the door ( she is crazy as hell) but her boy friend did. I was polite, but firm. He promised to try to keep the dogs up. I never threatened or got angry, I just said enough was enough. No one was home on the neighboring farm, but I intend to talk to them as well. Hung some posted signs on the line and hopefully it will send a message.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Had to talk to the neighbors

Post by smustian »

So you thought the dogs were coyotes? :wink:

A real shame you have to go through this. Hope all works out after "the talks".
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I'm afraid it will "work out" one way or another. For a long time I didn't want to tip my hand and just make things go away. Now I have an active pack of three from across the road - two pits and a cur mix - running deer on camera. As a gesture, I talked to the most sane person in the house. I love dogs as most of you know, my wife can't walk up and check the mail because of the two pits, she has to pull over on the opposite side of the road, facing oncoming and put in park, shimmy over to the passenger side to get it, with them snapping at the tires.
If they go away, I won't feel bad.
The kids however need to know I shoot here. I need no one dicking around behind where I may be testing a load. The new posted signs will probably take care of it, but one never knows.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

It is so frustrating when people will simply not respect property rights.

And having dangerous dogs running around preventing your wife from checking the mail is just wrong. My neighbors dog did that one time to my daughter a while back. When I got home I made my way over to the neighbors and made it very clear to him that his dog only gets one chance and it has now expired. If I see it loose again I will end it. He gave me a bunch of excuses about the dog being his sons and blah, blah, blah. I stopped him and repeated my promise. So far no issue. But he "loses" dogs a lot and gets new ones. He does not take good care of them. I won't say who, but someone may or may not be taking care of business.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

I've had that talk before too.
They were good neibours otherwise I wouldn't have warned them. They were good enough people to acknowledge that I was being more than reasonable and the consequences would be fair enough.
Why can't more people be like that.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Rebel,

As an aside, pepperspray makes a GREAT dog training aid
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Put the signs up, and call the cops every single time they trespass. sucks you have to go through that but been their, done that. Make sure your sign is per code too. Was nailed not complying by putting my name, address and phone number on the sign. Crock of shit. What's wrong with NO TRESPASSING! Was going to put a shotgun in their face last time but the wife got scared. After the sheriff paid a visit, never had an issue.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Sharkbite wrote:Rebel,

As an aside, pepperspray makes a GREAT dog training aid
Shark, would never get close enough. This is the boonies, not a neighborhood. I own 15 acres. My dogs have never been in thier yard because I am responsible. I've put up with it for well over a damn decade. I will not rush out of my box stand to spray dogs with pepper spray. I will however put an end to it, though I do it with mixed feelings. I seriously doubt the nutjob will listen, I will not have aggressive animals on my property. The fact that I had a nine mm drawn on the front porch to make sure I wasn't attacked when the boyfriend answered the door should tell you something. His first statement was, and I quote -" Someone needs to shoot that SOB. " This is trailer trash in a nice house, once the husband died she moved in felon brother, deadbeat kid and his assorted druggie friends. Get the picture? Appreciate the suggestion but it just ain't gonna be viable here.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bearcatrp wrote:Put the signs up, and call the cops every single time they trespass. sucks you have to go through that but been their, done that. Make sure your sign is per code too. Was nailed not complying by putting my name, address and phone number on the sign. Crock of shit. What's wrong with NO TRESPASSING! Was going to put a shotgun in their face last time but the wife got scared. After the sheriff paid a visit, never had an issue.
Signs are up , per code. I tried once and was told there was a language barrier.Thats bull as the patriarch speaks perfect english - when he wants me to fix one of his walk in flower coolers. I cut him off a few years back, they want to pay with scrawny chickens and have way more cash than I do - tax free I'm sure. :evil:
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

After getting my ankle bit by a pit in the neighborhood a few months ago, I have become a bit more aggressive when it comes to animal control.
I'm a HUGE dog lover, but when I'm doing nothing but riding my bike with my 8 year old daughter, I can not give way to emotion.
When I got bit, I stayed calm and made sure I stayed between the dog and my daughter.
She didn't even know I got bit until we were half way home and I told her to go faster due to the blood loss.

Got home and patched up my leg.
My Wife was irate and I said that I would go down and handle it.
Spoke with the owners and they assured me everything was good to go with the dog's shots.
I went home and told my Wife everything was fine.
She forced me to go to the ER to have my friends Wife look at it.
Of course they admitted me to the ER, hit me with tetanus, antibiotics and a fresh dressing.
The ER contacted animal control and turns out the dog did not have any records.
They quarantined the dog for 10 days and I got stuck with a $700 ER bill.
(No, they did not put the dog down or pay my medical expenses.)

Moral of the story, I'm an irresponsible dumb ass.
I have my CCP and the appropriate equipment to go with it.
I was not carrying and absolutely should have been.
One dog is not a big deal, I am confident that I could handle one without any issue.
(I grew up with large dogs and learned how to dominate them regardless of size.)
More than one dog and I potentially just risked my daughter's life.
(Dogs are pack animals and two or more can be very dangerous.)
Never again...

NC is a weird state when it comes to dogs. (Stems from ancient dog hunting laws.)
They are protected property and killing one is a very serious matter.
That being said, one should not hesitate to dispatch an animal when the situation warrants it.

Rebel, sorry brother.
Bad situation, but it looks like you are handling it appropriately.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain