Weight of your hunting rifle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Weight of your hunting rifle

Post by tikkablk »

Hi all, just curious on the all up weight of your rifle?.
Mine is 3.7kg or 8.1lb that is all up weight ready to hunt with 3 rounds in the magazine, sling, 2.5-10 power scope, rings and rail mount, scope caps, suppressor and cover. The gun is a rebarreled 223 Tikka T3 to a 12” 300BLK and is the lightest rifle I have ever own apart for a Ruger 10/22.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Weight of your hunting rifle

Post by rebel »

Mine vary, I have light rifles, 8 lbs or less, and heavy ones. I hunt mostly on my own property, my stands are 300 yards away. Last year I hunted with a 15 lb rifle, this year a 13 lb rifle - just because. I like using different calibers, unraveling their mysteries as well as the rifles and hand crafting a load for them. If a deer comes early, muzzle loading starts tomorrow, I may consider some sub hunting with the CZ in 300 BLK. Which weighs in about 7 lbs or so sans suppressor.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

most of my hunting guns run in the 8.5-11 lb range.

but like rebel, rarely will i walk more than a couple hundred yard with one.

i hunt from a box blind - so its walk in a few hundred yards, lean the gun in the corner, park my ass in an old office chair, pour some coffee and wait to see what wanders by. I'm in a travel zone between bedding, feeding and water.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ruger761

Post by ruger761 »

Most of mine are around 7.5-8.2lb range (223 to 300wsm) all with 3x9-40 or larger scopes. I have a long walk on a steep ridge where I hunt so the lighter the better. Makes them a little hard on the shoulder when target shooting but well worth it when hunting.
Akgun&Ammo
Silent Operator

Post by Akgun&Ammo »

my next one will be about 4 lbs with scope....

having a custom bolt built as we speak...

getting to old and fat to walk far with a lot of weight...

able to get help with dragging game back, but ain't ready to have someone carry my gear yet

that said, my go - to (average to long range) rifle is right at 7 pounds with 4 rnds of ammo and shoulder sling...

Chris