SCOOOOOOORE!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

SCOOOOOOORE!

Post by plant.one »

i just got a call i could have only wished would happen - i've got access to a 12x25 10' tall walk in cooler/freezer set from an old grocery/butcher shop. It has no refrigeration - just walls, ceiling and 3 doors - but figuring out that minor detail wont be too hard since my cousin and uncle do HVAC for a living ;D ;D

we wont need that much space for the deer, so we'll configure it to fit the barn nicely. one of my cousins might take some of the other stuff for his barn too, but thats the least of my concerns.

summer time crop damage hunts just got SUPER easy, along with never having to worry about a 50*F rainy day possibly ruining venison for us if we get a warm fall during deer season.

with the new butcher shop rules here in michigan, its gotten very difficult to get your deer into all but the largest butcher shops now - the health department changed the rules that all carcasses MUST be hung before the building closes for the night. this means no more taking in deer taken in the evening and stacking them like firewood in the coolers until the next morning when the guys can get to cutting again. So the small shops that only have 10 or 20 hooks in their coolers can only take in as many deer as they can process on a given day. The guy we've used for 20+ years had has to turn us away on several occasions already over the last couple seasons so we've been forced to go to other vendors.

now we'll be able to hang our deer in a temp controlled environment, regardless of the outside temp or if its raining, etc.... and if it takes a couple days for the butcher to have a hook for us, no worries.

oh ya, did i mention that its FREE!

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: SCOOOOOOORE!

Post by John A. »

Could this also be used as an emergency shelter? Since you're going to be installing it in the barn, I could think of a few ways you could make supporting walls to contain about 3 feet of earth or packed sand around all the sides except the doors themselves.

Just thinking out loud here.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i suppose it could be, but we're not gonna go there. our house is on a basement with a cellar area if need be thats safe and we're not in an area prone to regular attacks by tornado's and such anyway.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
7mmShooter

Post by 7mmShooter »

Wow... Now that's awesome.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice score!

I work out of giant coolers with ice and just finished deboning 7 deer Tue and Wed of this week. Portions are either vac sealed in the freezer already or in meat totes in my only fridge.
I am talking up 2/3+ of my fridge while this goes on. I hope to have processing basically done by tomorrow or just stuff to vac seal and freeze by sometime Sat.

A nice big cooler would make all of my processing SOOO much easier. I would also start doing Charcuterie in it with the UMAI bags. I could just see all the Peperoni, dried Salami, Bresola, Proschutto, etc. that I would start making if I had a temp controlled space for that kind of meat!!!
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Nice score plant. Great way to get some meat aging done once skinned. Just like a real butcher shop. Should make for some tender eats in the future.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

smustian wrote:Nice score plant. Great way to get some meat aging done once skinned. Just like a real butcher shop. Should make for some tender eats in the future.
i cant say that was the intentional plan for it, as stated we're just trying to find a long term solution for the new butcher shop rules, have a solution for crop damage hunts in the warm months, as well as trying to get around the weather as warm and/or rainy opening weeks happen in November for us. Honestly rain is the least of our concerns - we have enough barns we can hang a deer in, but thats not a fix for 55*F weather when it happens.

now we finally have a fix.

gonna order up a coolbot probably next week, and my cousin has a nice big window shaker he's gonna donate to the cause for the cold 8)

we go take it apart sunday morning.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

AWESOME!!

Years ago, I rented a house that had a garage/barn. Very large. The owner was a hunter and we spoke allot. That Garage was part of my rented space. With his approval, I framed in a 6x6 space. I used 2" foam insulation overlapped and doubled. Then lined the inside with acrylic masonite boards. I scored a 2 ton AC unit. Wired it up just cooling that small space. I could easily hang 6 deer inside with airspace. 8 in a pinch. MAN do I miss that!! That AC easily got the temps to 50 in short order. the insulation worked awesome too, walls floor and ceiling. best part, all at little $$ out of pocket as all insulation and 2x4 where from jobs overages. The AC unit was left at one of the property owners businesses. We both used that "cooler" for about 7-8 years.

Now, I cannot archery hunt, so when rifle rolls around its cold enough to hang deer in my garage.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Welcome to the chiller club.
Best things ever.
I was just talking to a friend yesterday and he reminded where he was working Southern insulation.....oh that's right they build the odd chiller.
I'm thinking a small pallet size one for the corner of my driveway for maybe 2 or 3 deer at a push for a day or 2 would be ideal to save turning on the big unit.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

cwlongshot wrote:AWESOME!!

Years ago, I rented a house that had a garage/barn. Very large. The owner was a hunter and we spoke allot. That Garage was part of my rented space. With his approval, I framed in a 6x6 space. I used 2" foam insulation overlapped and doubled. Then lined the inside with acrylic masonite boards. I scored a 2 ton AC unit. Wired it up just cooling that small space. I could easily hang 6 deer inside with airspace. 8 in a pinch. MAN do I miss that!! That AC easily got the temps to 50 in short order. the insulation worked awesome too, walls floor and ceiling. best part, all at little $$ out of pocket as all insulation and 2x4 where from jobs overages. The AC unit was left at one of the property owners businesses. We both used that "cooler" for about 7-8 years.

Now, I cannot archery hunt, so when rifle rolls around its cold enough to hang deer in my garage.

CW

we were going to go that route origionally but it would have been almost $800 due to the cost of 2" foam sheets these days :( so at that price we started shopping for used walk-in's. we were gonna throw $1k at a walk-in shell. but free is the best price :)