110gr Tactx on deer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ArchangelOverwatch

Re: 110gr Tactx on deer

Post by ArchangelOverwatch »

Newbie to this forum site -

Instead of using my trusty bolt guns, This year I will be hunting for the 1st time with one of my new 300BLK’s. I have an 8.5” pistol, a 10.5” pistol and a 16” rifle. I will likely use the pistols the most for their being more compact. I have bought a few different “hunting” rounds to try, but I have a specific question on two of them. My first round is the tremendously expanding Gorilla 205gr Silverback - for subsonic. Going Supersonic, I was looking at the Barnes tax-tx 110gr and 120gr. I have already made the decision to try the 120’s and have subsequently bought some, BUT I have read great testimonials concerning the 110gr.

My question: I can do the math and realize that there are 10gr difference in weight, but realistically, why would Barnes make a 110gr AND a 120gr? I might could see it heavier being just another option if it was say a 125-130gr, but it’s not and I’m trying to work out a discernible positive for the 120 or negative for the 110, ( or vice versa ), to be able to say I should choose one over the other.

Any light some of you very knowledgeable shooters / hunters can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. BTW.... I’m talking about use on avg. size deer ( 100-150 pounds ) and possibly hogs, as we have an abundant supply on my hunting area.

Thanks in advance!!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ArchangelOverwatch wrote:Newbie to this forum site -

Instead of using my trusty bolt guns, This year I will be hunting for the 1st time with one of my new 300BLK’s. I have an 8.5” pistol, a 10.5” pistol and a 16” rifle. I will likely use the pistols the most for their being more compact. I have bought a few different “hunting” rounds to try, but I have a specific question on two of them. My first round is the tremendously expanding Gorilla 205gr Silverback - for subsonic. Going Supersonic, I was looking at the Barnes tax-tx 110gr and 120gr. I have already made the decision to try the 120’s and have subsequently bought some, BUT I have read great testimonials concerning the 110gr.

My question: I can do the math and realize that there are 10gr difference in weight, but realistically, why would Barnes make a 110gr AND a 120gr? I might could see it heavier being just another option if it was say a 125-130gr, but it’s not and I’m trying to work out a discernible positive for the 120 or negative for the 110, ( or vice versa ), to be able to say I should choose one over the other.

Any light some of you very knowledgeable shooters / hunters can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. BTW.... I’m talking about use on avg. size deer ( 100-150 pounds ) and possibly hogs, as we have an abundant supply on my hunting area.

Thanks in advance!!
On paper the 120 in this case will be less efficient because it will have less energy on impact. Because of the length of the bullet, the velocity of the 120 grain will be too far below the 110 to make up the difference in speed with weight. With the 120 around 100 fps slower, they will be equal, at 200 fps slower the 120 will have around 100 pounds less energy.

The question becomes at what speeds will they become the most accurate and what the difference is.

Real life says whichever one is the most accurate in your rifle would be the choice to make. The numbers on paper have little meaning under 200 yards.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ArchangelOverwatch

Post by ArchangelOverwatch »

dellet wrote:
ArchangelOverwatch wrote:Newbie to this forum site -

Thanks in advance!!
On paper the 120 in this case will be less efficient because it will have less energy on impact. Because of the length of the bullet, the velocity of the 120 grain will be too far below the 110 to make up the difference in speed with weight. With the 120 around 100 fps slower, they will be equal, at 200 fps slower the 120 will have around 100 pounds less energy.

The question becomes at what speeds will they become the most accurate and what the difference is.

Real life says whichever one is the most accurate in your rifle would be the choice to make. The numbers on paper have little meaning under 200 yards.

Thanks for the thoughts.... looks like I have more ammo to buy .... like that’s a bad thing. LOL