110gr Tactx on deer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bushmastaactual

110gr Tactx on deer

Post by Bushmastaactual »

I've taken pigs with the round and have 5 deer tags hope to see how the 110 handles deer.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: 110gr Tactx on deer

Post by Whole Bunches »

I've taken 5 deer with the Barnes 110gr black tips out of 16" bbl Blackouts. In my experience they work great. It's my go-to bullet for deer hunting.

One large doe at about 165-170yd was hit through the lungs. She ran a few yards and stopped. Not knowing for sure, I put another through the lungs. She then went a few yards and dropped. Upon skinning, the whole lung area looked like a massive black bruise under the hide. My speculation was that the first hit caused bleeding with the 2nd hit upon hitting the blood filling lungs causing the massive bruising. The other four deer were only shot once.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

An considering trying the 120 grain version for a little umph. Good to know the 110 works also.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

bearcatrp wrote:An considering trying the 120 grain version for a little umph. Good to know the 110 works also.

Either should be fine for deer or pig size critters. Since the all-copper Barnes sluigs retain almost 100% of weight they can penetrate farther than some conventional bullets that shed their jacket and come apart. So, unless you are after really tough pigs you might be just as happy with the slight speed advantage of the 110.
Bushmastaactual

Post by Bushmastaactual »

Performed flawlessly 3 dead deer between 40-200 yds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Bushmastaactual wrote:Performed flawlessly 3 dead deer between 40-200 yds.
Nice shooting then!

Do I smell backstraps on the grill?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

The 110gr Blacktip should do fine. I just killed a doe with it.
Shot placement is very crucial for the the 300BLK.

Shot placement is crucial no matter what but with the 300BLK isn't as forgiving as a higher power load like a 308 or 30-06.

Just for an example I lost a doe as well on this last trip with the 110gr blacktip. The shot placement seemed good but I think it was a little low and to the left so I believe it caught the shoulder bone (not the flat one) and was then directed out the front or out the bottom of the deer missing the vitals and not striking the other leg. This deer was lost after hours of tracking and jumping it twice :(

Had I been better with the placement this deer would have been in the cooler right now. I'll take some measures in the future so I don't repeat the situation and I guarantee even more accurate shot placement :)
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

ive had good success with the 110s but ive switched to the 130 ttsx for most of my needs
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Three more deer fell to the 110TAC-TX bullets in our guns. EVERY ONE new nearly identical results. (IDENTICAL, if simply meat in the larder is goal.)

First was a Coyote at a longer distance about 175-180 yards. Bang, pinwheels done. Second was my 130 ish # 135 yard buck. Hole inside chest cavity (entrance) was honest 2.25" exit was nickle to quarter in dia. Third was another 130ish # buck at 80-90 yards broad side, again 2" PLUS holes thru rib cage. ALL thru and thru about only complaint was no blood for the bucks. Coyote sprayed blood a bit.

Years past, I have used it twice (Coyote and deer) and buddies used maybe, 3-5 times. Every one resulted in short recovery and humane kills.

No hesitation using or recommending this bullet.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
JimmyT
Silent Operator

Post by JimmyT »

bearcatrp wrote:An considering trying the 120 grain version for a little umph. Good to know the 110 works also.
In the same boat now working up some loads with H110 today... MTF