Deer Season

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Re: Deer Season

Post by Walkers Bay »

The time stamp says it all. Shot this stag on the road, it was the second in less than a mile. I miss fed my gun and got the dreaded CLICK then double fed it. EDIT... It dropped like stone, dead on arrival but i haven't seen a hole in the chest yet, so either my gun is off and i necked it or it had a heart attack after getting shot at.
A proud English pointer on his warm bed of 2 stags. The second was the 5th deer we seen and took it at 300meters with an Unsuppressed 308.
Got home at 5:30 in the morning, been out since 9pm. I'm a shift worker so another night awake isn't a big deal.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Walkers Bay wrote:Image
The time stamp says it all. Shot this stag on the road, it was the second in less than a mile. I miss fed my gun and got the dreaded CLICK then double fed it. EDIT... It dropped like stone, dead on arrival but i haven't seen a hole in the chest yet, so either my gun is off and i necked it or it had a heart attack after getting shot at.
A proud English pointer on his warm bed of 2 stags. The second was the 5th deer we seen and took it at 300meters with an Unsuppressed 308.
Got home at 5:30 in the morning, been out since 9pm. I'm a shift worker so another night awake isn't a big deal.

Awesome!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

For those of you considering sub hunting with a bolt or single shot, this might be something to look at.
Outlaw State has been in the game for a while. Several of my customers swear by there accuracy and killing power. Here is a bullet tested in wetpack and water. I really had trouble catching it because it retains so much weight. This is a 250 grain hollow point that I understand is no longer available.
Seems it fractures rather than expands. Of course this is not flesh and is probably more dramatic than punching through a deer.
Outlaw State seems to have some interesting options. I don't see them get a lot of love here because they seem to be a small operation and probably have slow shipping - but I don't know. I may consider some myself.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Life would be so much easier if we could shoot at night. We're not even allowed to be in possession of NV/Thermal with a weapon of any kind.

Land of the free...
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

rebel wrote:For those of you considering sub hunting with a bolt or single shot, this might be something to look at.
Outlaw State has been in the game for a while. Several of my customers swear by there accuracy and killing power. Here is a bullet tested in wetpack and water. I really had trouble catching it because it retains so much weight. This is a 250 grain hollow point that I understand is no longer available.
Seems it fractures rather than expands. Of course this is not flesh and is probably more dramatic than punching through a deer.

Outlaw State seems to have some interesting options. I don't see them get a lot of love here because they seem to be a small operation and probably have slow shipping - but I don't know. I may consider some myself.
My experience with Outlaw was horrible customer service and ability to get in touch with them. That was maybe 5 years ago so maybe things have changed since then.

Now Lehigh has been top notch all the way through so I always push them :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
rebel wrote:For those of you considering sub hunting with a bolt or single shot, this might be something to look at.

My experience with Outlaw was horrible customer service and ability to get in touch with them. That was maybe 5 years ago so maybe things have changed since then.

I'm not pushing anyone, just saying the bullet worked. That along with customer experiences is good feedback.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

rebel wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:

I'm not pushing anyone, just saying the bullet worked. That along with customer experiences is good feedback.

I gotcha. I hope people are having good experience with OSB. The more players out there, the better for all of us :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I see no need to create a new thread to say this, and I will make it brief so it can't be construed as a rant. Several folks last year reported wounding/loosing deer with the 300 BLK. The average hunter out there depends more on bullet performance/ cartridge power than they do on shot placement. I can't preach it enough, I'd rather be hunting whitetail with a 1/2 moa 300 BLK than a 2 moa 300 Win mag. Study deer anatomy, the angles a deer may be standing and where the bullet must be placed and lastly, know your limitations as a shooter. I run a gun shop and hear at least 5 times the BS hunting stories you guys probably do. Still, I know of no one that has been made fun of for a successful hunt, no matter the range the game was taken. Blowing a dinner plate size hole through an animal may make for more confidence but it doesn't make for a better hunter.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

Speaking of bullet performance
That's on the far side of a 6 inch neck, it was probably 3 inch thick neck bone it blew straight through.
It retained reasonable weight for a 110gr V max
Bushmastaactual

Post by Bushmastaactual »

Only killed a pig and some rabbits with the 300 blk. I hope to knock down some does this year with it, if more than 200 yards I'll have to use my REPR762 vs the BLK, 10.5" with Omega.