New to 300 blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

1dawg4evr

New to 300 blackout

Post by 1dawg4evr »

I just finished building my AR pistol. It is a 10.5 inch barrel with a 1:8 twist. I plan to mainly plink with it and deer hunt some. I have read a lot of good things on here about the 150 gold dots, and I was wondering if they are in a comerical load or only handloads? I currently load my own 45 and9mm, but I am not ready to start rifle yet. If it is not commercially loaded is there another load that is equivalent for whitetail deer?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to 300 blackout

Post by rebel »

1dawg4evr wrote:I just finished building my AR pistol. It is a 10.5 inch barrel with a 1:8 twist. I plan to mainly plink with it and deer hunt some. I have read a lot of good things on here about the 150 gold dots, and I was wondering if they are in a comerical load or only handloads? I currently load my own 45 and9mm, but I am not ready to start rifle yet. If it is not commercially loaded is there another load that is equivalent for whitetail deer?
Barnes and Hornady are proven to work. Other companies have marketed bullets that won't work at Blackout velocities so be careful what you choose.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
1dawg4evr

Post by 1dawg4evr »

Thanks Rebel. I have been reading up here some, but mostly hunting with high powered rifles (308, and 7mm) the last few years. I am a little confused about bullet weights for the 300. In my rifles I tend to like heavier projectiles and velocity is not as much of an issue. In reading here it seems that the lightweight fast bullets do better on deer sized game. Is this a true statement, at least regarding factory loading? If I do handload I will go with gold dots given what I have seen from testing by members on here.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

1dawg4evr wrote:Thanks Rebel. I have been reading up here some, but mostly hunting with high powered rifles (308, and 7mm) the last few years. I am a little confused about bullet weights for the 300. In my rifles I tend to like heavier projectiles and velocity is not as much of an issue. In reading here it seems that the lightweight fast bullets do better on deer sized game. Is this a true statement, at least regarding factory loading? If I do handload I will go with gold dots given what I have seen from testing by members on here.
110 gr to 125 gr is the most common weight for supers. 150 is a heavyweight super in 300 blk as far as hunting goes. Still a component as far as I know. There was a lot of thought put behind that projectile IMO. Being flat based means you can achieve maximum velocity without early pressure signs. Though I have not wrung out everything possible with it yet, first impressions were very good. Should be a great load out to 200 yards. With any cartridge that is sitting right around 1000 fp of force when it hits, shot placement is everything. I have harvested deer with the 125 sst with no complaints. You can't rely on punch, you will have to rely on skill. I find it very efficient in the deer woods.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.