Hunting Load Test: Range Report

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Hunting Load Test: Range Report

Post by KneverKnew »

I finally got my 12 year old sons 300 Blackout outside to test new hunting loads for the upcoming season here in North Florida.
I built this rifle for him and gave it to him last Christmas. He carried it in the woods the rest of the season using commercial Barnes 110 TAC-TX Blacktips. He never got to take a deer, but his results on a target were impressive. So I spent the past several months collecting components to reload for the new season. Other than the typical target bullets (147 pulled and 125 SMK's) I ended up with several boxes each of Barnes 110gr Blacktips and 130gr TTSX's. The powders I tested with are listed below.

Test Rifle:
300 AAC Blackout
Wilson Light Weight SS 300BLK barrel 16" w/ Wilson 300Blk Flash Hider.
Carbine gas system
Temperature : Low 80's

Test Range: 50 yards
Chronoraph: Gama Master Chrony at 15' from muzzle.
Brass: R-P Nickle (Remington Hog Hammer commercial, once fired)
TTL: 1.358"
Barnes 130 grain TTSX
COAL: 2.170 ( Ogive just touching Magazine side rib)
Primer: CCI #41

Load 1:
H-110 18.0 grains
Av= 2180 (5 shots)
Grouping: 5 @ 1.03", [email protected] (Throwing out the fifth shot flyer)
Ejection was from 2 to 3 o'clock, distance of 6' - 8'
Despite the good grouping of this loading there were some slight pressure signs, so a reduction in charge would be a good for future H-110 loads, but I suspect most of my attention will be on Lil-Gun.

Load 2:
Lil-Gun 17.4 grains
Av= 2062 (5 shots)
Grouping: 5@ 1.14", 4@ .65"
Ejection was from 4 to 5 o'clock, distance of 6' - 7'.
No pressure signs, and quite adequate grouping. Other list this as a "sweet spot" load. Deserves further study.

Load 3:
Lil-Gun 17.5 grains
Av= 2092 (5 shots)
Grouping: 5@ 1.92", 4@ .92"
Slight pressure signs, but tolerable. May be a problem in hotter weather.

I will be doing more testing with the Barnes 130's and Lil-Gun to varify my 17.4 grain findings. I expect good things from this combination. I will also start testing some load ladders with Barnes 110 Blacktips.

Does anyone know which would be the better choice for white tail deer?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hunting Load Test: Range Report

Post by tallburnedmidget »

110gr Blacktips are better than the 130gr TTSX. You need to increase that 130gr speed to near 2300fps to get enough expansion at 100yds.

The 110gr Blacktips will expand no issue at your current speeds within 100yds.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

At those lower fps speeds you may see some substandard performance from the 130TTSX. It is by far my favorite bullet for accuracy from both the 300blk and the 30RAR(in a Encore). I have tested the 130TTSX in the meat box analog and they barely started to expand below 2200fps muzzle velocity out past 100 yards from the 300blk. My solution was to use Lancer mags with the side ribs shaved down to allow full mag length seating of the 130TTSX.

20gr of H110 seated to 2.250" max charge, flattening of the primer but no cratering.

here is a comparison from the meat box, factory Barnes 110gr Tac-Tx vrs 130TTSX with 18gr of H110 at 2.16"
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

Thank you for the first hand experience comments! Just what I was hoping for. I had a feeling the 110 Blacktips would do best since they were specially built to expand for the 300 BLK velocities.

I still hope I can get adequate performance levels with the 130's though. I have two boxes. :)

Also, has anyone had experience using the Hornady 125 SST interlock rounds hunting? Looking at those pretty hard.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

tXr wrote:At those lower fps speeds you may see some substandard performance from the 130TTSX. It is by far my favorite bullet for accuracy from both the 300blk and the 30RAR(in a Encore). I have tested the 130TTSX in the meat box analog and they barely started to expand below 2200fps muzzle velocity out past 100 yards from the 300blk. My solution was to use Lancer mags with the side ribs shaved down to allow full mag length seating of the 130TTSX.

20gr of H110 seated to 2.250" max charge, flattening of the primer but no cratering.

here is a comparison from the meat box, factory Barnes 110gr Tac-Tx vrs 130TTSX with 18gr of H110 at 2.16"
What velocities did you get with that 20 grain H110 loading? Don't know if I'll be able to reach that level. 18 grains had already started flattening primers, not completely, but noticeable.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

I may give 18 grains H110 a try again, and maybe work up a little hotter to increase velocities, but may have to seat out a little longer, up to magazine length. I'll have to mod my lancer mag. Maybe that will reduce pressures a tiny bit, but I will have to religate these hotter loadings for cold winter weather hunting only. Still hoping to use the 110's for hunting with the blackout. I can always use the 130 TTSX's in either my M1 Garand or my older son's M1A for hunting. There is also my K31 Swiss straight pull bolt action 7.5x55. It uses a 308 bullet, but usually likes the heavier bullets. The Swiss Surplus ammo GP11 uses a FMJ 174 grain bullet. They are exceedingly accurate.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

The 125 sst is a fine bullet. I had decent expansion to 200
Yards in wetpack. Start at 17.2 gr of h110/w296 and work your way up. My load for my rifle is 18 gr, w296, col , 2.11, cci 450, and a light Lee factory crimp. Work your way up as suggested to find the sweet spot.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

rebel wrote:The 125 sst is a fine bullet. I had decent expansion to 200
Yards in wetpack. Start at 17.2 gr of h110/w296 and work your way up. My load for my rifle is 18 gr, w296, col , 2.11, cci 450, and a light Lee factory crimp. Work your way up as suggested to find the sweet spot.
Thanks. I'll look into them but was hopin not to have to spend more money. I already have too many bullets to test. :)
What velocity was that load giving you? Any idea what a Lil gun loading would be?
I also have some Hornady 150 interlocks I got to use in my Garand. Anyone know if they will perform well in the blackout?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Sorry-mv was pushing 2200. No info on Lil gun but you might check the pet loads sticky in handloading. 150's will be tough to get any expansion out of at 100 yards.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

rebel wrote:Sorry-mv was pushing 2200. No info on Lil gun but you might check the pet loads sticky in handloading. 150's will be tough to get any expansion out of at 100 yards.
I have searched and searched. I must be blind. Can you please point me to the Pet Load Sticky in Handloading? Thanks.