Whos Hunting w110gr Control Chaos Lehigh Defense This Season

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Whos Hunting w110gr Control Chaos Lehigh Defense This Season

Post by tallburnedmidget »

1) Who's hunting with the 110gr CC this season?

2) What length barrel are you using?

3) What speeds are have you loaded the bullet to?

4) What distance are you hunting at?

5) Where do you plan to place the shot?
----------------------------------------------

1) I plan to hunt with it this season
2) I plan to use a 16" AAC Carbine Gas Upper with the bullet/round
3) I have chronyd my load at 2393 fps, see load here viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81553&p=814451#p814451 Lehigh lists that minimum performance speed at 2000fps so I am not sure I will try it out of my 7.5" SBR :(
4) 125yds Max distance
5) Kind of undecided. Will likely put it in as a further back (1) double lung shot to avoid shoulder meat damage.
Very strongly contemplating (2) neck/spine shot above shoulder.

Here I have an image where X marks the spot of where I am talking about.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Whos Hunting w110gr Control Chaos Lehigh Defense This Se

Post by jwb47 »

I always aim right at the top of the elbow but seldom hit there :lol: I have not got to the controlled chaos yet and will be interested to see how they work out for you . how big are the deer in your neck of the woods for the most part here where I live a 185lb buck is big.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

jwb47 wrote:I always aim right at the top of the elbow but seldom hit there :lol: I have not got to the controlled chaos yet and will be interested to see how they work out for you . how big are the deer in your neck of the woods for the most part here where I live a 185lb buck is big.
In Texas the bodies on the deer are not that big. A bigger doe is like 90lbs in my experience. Really good sized bucks are like 150lbs in my experience.

I mostly meat hunt so I rarely get a chance to take big horns which generally means big bodies due to maturity. I have taken big mature spikes but few of those exists as spikes are usually culled ASAP.

The further back lung shot is appealing to me because I have the full body cavity of the deer for the CC to explode into. The neck worries me a little as there may not bee too much room for the CC to do it's thing. I figured I would take both shots but start with the lunch shot and once I see the downed deer get a good idea of the real life neck/shoulder width to have the best understanding if/where the best neck/shoulder shot would be if at all feasible.

That's my plan. Now with a hog I would earhole them no matter the bullet type :)
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Looks like he came off my trail cam. 8) I was thinking of maybe using a Beowulf to hunt with this fall but my friend talked me out of it, to much meat damage. I have to many choices...
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

randyrucker wrote:Looks like he came off my trail cam. 8) I was thinking of maybe using a Beowulf to hunt with this fall but my friend talked me out of it, to much meat damage. I have to many choices...
I wish that guy was on my trail came in the one spot where I can freely take a deer. I don't own a Beowulf but if I did I would be leaning on the same thought process as above to avoid meat damage :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I have some, but no loaded yet. I will stick with the sst until I test this out. Your loads show promise.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I plan on it. Still testing load development now. Out of my 16" CMMG, I'm getting an average of 2440 fps. Testing will move into my 9.5" CORE 15 this weekend. I'm hoping for 2200 fps. Both rifles should be fine out to 200 yards if the loads are shooting OK. My 125 Nosler loads have no problem hitting the 4" gong at 200 yards, and I'm hoping for hte same for the 110 Lehighs. Time will tell.

On the Lehigh site for the 110 Controlled Chaos round, it lists velocity as "2,000 - 4,200 fps". I sent them an e-mail asking if that meant that at 1,900 fps, the bullet stops doing it's thing, and if not, what the minimum velocity would be for acceptable performance. With a BC of .215, these puppies slow down quickly. If I can get the 9.5 SBR barrel up to 2,200 fps, at 100 yards, it's 1840 fps, 150- 1680 fps, and 200- 1530 fps. At 2,440 out of the 16", at 100- 2060, 150- 1880, and 200- 1720 fps.

As for shot placement, if I can get a good solid rest and a neck shot is available, I usually take it. I've found that the energy dump will snap the spinal cord even if the bullet does not hit bone. No wounding- it's a hit or miss proposition. With these bullets, I'd like to see what they do on a solid body shot.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

I'm curious what you can get speed wise from the 9" barrel. It will let me know more of what to expect from my 7.5" barrel.

My Magnetospeed V3 is waiting for me at home this week. I will now be able to break it out and chrony my 7.5" SBR with the suppressor on to get my exact speeds with suppressor and deal with the super short barrel.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I will try to remember to post after this weekend's session. I've got some 110s loaded up with H110 at 20.0 and 20.2 grains at 2.110. I meant to shoot my last testers in both my 16" and 9", but I screwed up and only shot the 16".
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Looking forward to it :)