2.4 mile shot

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2.4 mile shot

Post by rebel »

Not impressed? O.K. I can see a couple of you are a hard audience. I liked dellets comparison but I have a cheaper, and maybe more realistic way to simulate what he did. Take any .22 LR rimfire you like, with the most accurate ammo it likes, on a day that the wind is say 10mph or so, full value. I'll give you a post it note. 300 yards. Hit it, report conditions and be honest about number of shots. Of course at that distance you won't have to figure Coriolis or to much spin drift. Tell me how easy it was for you :P Hell I'll spot you two sighters.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

damnit, now i have to find a 300 yd range just to try that for giggles!

i know my holdover for 200, but dont know if my scope even has enough come up to reach out to 300 :shock:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

plant.one wrote:damnit, now i have to find a 300 yd range just to try that for giggles!

i know my holdover for 200, but dont know if my scope even has enough come up to reach out to 300 :shock:
I shot my man sized steel target at 525yds with my Ruger American 22lr. 8) It took a lot of rounds to get it, but after I got it once I was able to do it fairly consistently. Holdover was put the top of the target at the very bottom of the scope, then go up another 10 feet :lol:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

idaho.jon wrote:
plant.one wrote:damnit, now i have to find a 300 yd range just to try that for giggles!

I shot my man sized steel target at 525yds with my Ruger American 22lr. 8) It took a lot of rounds to get it, but after I got it once I was able to do it fairly consistently. Holdover was put the top of the target at the very bottom of the scope, then go up another 10 feet :lol:
at 200 with my 10/22 i use the post where the reticle goes from skinny to fat. it usually gets me right in the neighborhood and i can kentucky elevation from there as needed.

i had to give my dad a real world in exterior ballistics - he freaked out about me shooting way down the field at a crow one day. i was aiming at the top of the treeline (550+ yds out) with subsonics. lobbing mortar rounds in type of thing. he kept insisting that it was dangerous to point my gun that far in the air "the box says 22lr is dangerous to 1.5 miles". and then i made him watch for the puff in the freshly tilled dirt where the bullet was duffing into the ground by the weed sticking at around 400 or so... :lol: :lol:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Well, the challenge I posted isn't as hard as dellets. I gave a post it note, pretty much MOA at 300. If you'll read the comments in the video I posted, he fired 17 shots. Once the wind settled and the sun went down he was on it in three. At 2.4 miles, the wind had to change at least a dozen times through that shot. It's science, luck and voodoo - but if you do it, you have bragging rights. To write this off as ho-hum to me is kind of funny. It was a remarkable shot and I give the rifle the most credit. Anyone that has shot anything at distance-600 plus -knows experience with this helps. Another couple that does a lot of long distance stuff are these folks - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs3sYk ... 95EniC-uMw
Fun stuff, field shooting with a precision twist. I'm sure this will be equally as boring to some of you 8) Make sure you check the cant of the scopes vs. the angle of the rifle. Set up is everything.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

It won't, unless you have one with a 20 moa rail 8) However, Kentucky windage will suffice if necessary. 1 clay pigeon, 300 yards, 20-25 mph crosswind at full value, Savage Mk 2 and CCI maxi mags. 1 witness and 3 shots. Even the sun shines on a dog's butt every once and a while :P
GreenPig

Post by GreenPig »

I'm able to dial in 500 yards with 22 lr. Home built custom that started life as a Savage MK2. Pulled factory barrel, threaded the barrel (1 & 1/16" SS Green Mountain) into the action. Mounted and glass bedded the barreled action into a Boyd's laminate stock, 20 MOA rail with a Millet LRS 6X25X56. I shoot at and hit 2" spinners with 40 to 50% hits at 500 yds on dead calm days. But 2.4 miles is insane.