New here, with a a new build...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: New here, with a a new build...

Post by gds »

Welcome.

I try to recommend the new guys at least add their state in their profile. it may help someone help you
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Lol, im on a hornady single stage, and im overly OCD...still running various test ladders for my dif builds...prob gonna keep using the single stage for 308 and 300 WM, plus my test ladders...gonna pick up a Lee Turret for 9mm, 45acp, 300 AAC plinkers, 5.56 plinkers...i do everything slow, so prob 50rds/hr right now...individually run every powder charge with Chargemaster 1500 combo...
Nothing wrong with that, I don't think it's possible to be "overly OCD" when dealing with something that can kill you!

My primary reason for avoiding it up until now is because of a couple of KABOOMS that happened at a range I frequented back when I lived in PA. One guy loaded a round without powder...you can figure out what happened next. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong with second, but I do know it destroyed a very nice rifle! Luckily neither suffered serious injuries. Still, it was enough for me to stick to factory ammo at the time.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither"
— Benjamin Franklin
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

danner wrote: I would tumble with the SS pins before using the sizing die.

Just an FYI if you're considering buying the Lee dies, the Lee 300blk bullet seating die plug might contact the bullet tip instead of the ogive. If that happens your bullets might not seat to the same depth every time. Mine did, but I discovered and replaced the seating die before using it. The full length sizing die works just fine though.
I purchased 1000 pieces of once fired brass that was cleaned and de-primed. Otherwise I'd definitely tumble twice...once when it first came in and again after I resized to clean off the oil. I saw a tip on YouTube on a faster way to lube brass (actually, the die). I put a good amount of fully synthetic motor oil on a case, then re-size. The oil bonds to the die well enough for the next 10 cases (the guy in the video said he's done as many as 20, but I stick to 10). I dip another case after that 10 and repeat, it works great! Anyway, I have to tumble immediately after no matter what because the cases come out pretty slick from the oil.

UPDATE: Here is the video I mentioned (fast forward to 4:25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOL_S7Hngs

I already purchased the Lee dies. I figured if I wasn't happy with the seating die I'd replace it. The crimping die is a must have in my opinion. I couldn't find a set by other manufacturers that came with one. For the price I paid for the entire Lee set I would have paid just for a good crimping die, so I don't think I lost out even if I do replace the seating die.

BTW - Before I tumble, I swage the primer pockets (I forgot to mention that). There is quite a bit of Lake City and other military brass in the lot.
Last edited by Laxidasical on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
— Benjamin Franklin
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

dellet wrote: Welcome to the fun!

You should probably trim your brass down about another .010 unless you have a specific reason to run it max length. No real benefit to running it long, and can cause issues. You will also need to trim more often.
With the setup I have, trimming is pretty trivial. Especially since I'm using the RCBS 3-Way cutter. Check out this video...I purchased an extension specificity made for this setup on eBay from a guy called Squirrel Daddy. Trimming, chafer, and deburring is now the quickest part of the process.

So far my gauge hasn't complained, and cases seem to chamber well. The real test won't happen until I make it to the range next month. I'll trim cases lower if I run into issues, but starting out I'm trying to make them as close to the SAMMI spec as possible.
— Benjamin Franklin
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

gds wrote:Welcome.

I try to recommend the new guys at least add their state in their profile. it may help someone help you
Thanks, I updated it! I'll add an avatar as well shortly...
— Benjamin Franklin
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Laxidasical wrote:
dellet wrote: Welcome to the fun!

You should probably trim your brass down about another .010 unless you have a specific reason to run it max length. No real benefit to running it long, and can cause issues. You will also need to trim more often.
With the setup I have, trimming is pretty trivial. Especially since I'm using the RCBS 3-Way cutter. Check out this video...I purchased an extension specificity made for this setup on eBay from a guy called Squirrel Daddy. Trimming, chafer, and deburring is now the quickest part of the process.

So far my gauge hasn't complained, and cases seem to chamber well. The real test won't happen until I make it to the range next month. I'll trim cases lower if I run into issues, but starting out I'm trying to make them as close to the SAMMI spec as possible.
Spec is max 1.368 -.020, or 1.348-1.368.

You won't see the problem show up in your gauge but you might see it show up in your chamber. The brass grows when fired. So it is possible that the neck of the brass can pinch the bullet when it is fired causing pressure spikes. The 300BLK is very forgiving because of the chamber design, but if you end up with a chamber in the tight side you might get a surprise.

Generally not a good idea to do anything at the max end of the spec range when reloading until you have a pretty good handle on it. Just a thought. :P
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

dellet wrote:Spec is max 1.368 -.020, or 1.348-1.368.

You won't see the problem show up in your gauge but you might see it show up in your chamber. The brass grows when fired. So it is possible that the neck of the brass can pinch the bullet when it is fired causing pressure spikes. The 300BLK is very forgiving because of the chamber design, but if you end up with a chamber in the tight side you might get a surprise.

Generally not a good idea to do anything at the max end of the spec range when reloading until you have a pretty good handle on it. Just a thought. :P
Gotcha! I'll trim them down another .10...I guess I have to change my avatar as well! :lol:
— Benjamin Franklin
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

Laxidasical wrote:I already purchased the Lee dies.
Nothing wrong with Lee dies, I use them too. Have you pulled the bullet seating plug yet to see if the tip of your bullets hit before the plug contacts the ogive?
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

danner wrote: Nothing wrong with Lee dies, I use them too. Have you pulled the bullet seating plug yet to see if the tip of your bullets hit before the plug contacts the ogive?
I don't even have bullets yet! :mrgreen: I've just been trying to master case prep for now. I just started this week (although I've been researching everything the past couple of months). I'm thinking of getting the Nosler 110 gr Varmageddon and the Sierra 125 gr MatchKing to start though. When I do, I'll be sure to test how the die seats them before trying to use it. They are shorter than the 150 + gr bullets, so hopefully it's not an issue.

Thanks for the tip, keep them coming if you have them!
— Benjamin Franklin
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

dellet wrote:Spec is max 1.368 -.020, or 1.348-1.368.

Thanks again for this tip! I re-trimmed ALL of the brass I had completed today. It's now averaging 1.355 +/- .003. 8)
— Benjamin Franklin