New here, with a a new build...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Laxidasical

New here, with a a new build...

Post by Laxidasical »

My first post on the site, I figure a great way to get started is post my first build...

Last year I decided to do my first AR build. I knew I wanted something with a little color instead of all black, and I knew I wanted it chambered in 300 Blackout. I live in a non-NFA state (plus I'm far more interested in supersonic loads than subsonic) so I also decided on a 16" barrel. I ordered all of the parts for the lower and built it, but life changes (new job, new kid, etc) put a hold on some of my hobbies (including the upper build). This year I finally pieced together the parts for my upper. Better pics are coming!

Oh...since I took these photos I've added a set of Magpul Pro BUIS and a Lucid HD7 (until I get what I really want - a Trijicon SRS).

UPPER

- Joe Bob Outfitter's Spartan-15 Stripped Billet Upper Receiver
- Rock River Forward Assist Kit
- Strike Industries Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover
- Fortis Hammer Charging Handle (Black Teflon)
- Sharps Balanced Bolt Carrier Group (w/Relia-Bolt)
- Aero Precision 16" 300 BLK Barrel (w/Gas Tube)
- Troy Industries Barrel Nut
- Fortis Low Profile Gas Block
- Fortis RED 7.62 Muzzle Brake (Nitride Finish)
- Fortis 14" REV Rail FDE
- Magpul MBUS Pro Front & Rear Sights

LOWER

- Joe Bob Outfitter's Spartan-15 Stripped Billet Lower Receiver
- Stag Arms Lower Parts Kit
- Omega Tactical Buffer Tube Kit
- Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock
- Magpul MOE+ Grip
- Magpul PMAGs Gen M2 MOE (3)
- PMAG Ranger Plate (3-Pack)

Last edited by Laxidasical on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither"
— Benjamin Franklin
danner
Silent But Deadly

Re: New here, with a a new build...

Post by danner »

Nice stick and welcome to the site.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

danner wrote:Nice stick and welcome to the site.
Thanks!
— Benjamin Franklin
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Nice...i used a Spartan lower for my most recent SBR and really like it...have you had a chance to shoot her yet?
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Nice...i used a Spartan lower for my most recent SBR and really like it...have you had a chance to shoot her yet?
Not yet! I've just entered the wonderful world of reloading (primarily due to the cost of Blackout rounds), so I've spent far more time learning that than at the range. No regrets though, I'll be able to shoot for less than half the cost of commercial ammo! The only thing stopping me from going with the Spartan set again on my next build is The Jack! LOL

— Benjamin Franklin
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Lol, the Jack is cool, just not my cup of tea...im thinking Northtech Defense maching receiver set for my nxt build...very clean lines, very well made...
I was where you are with reloading awhile back...getting started is the tough part...phase one, get your tools and components...phase two, test loads (which takes awhile too)...then phase three, just reload your fav loads and stock up for range time!
Laxidasical

Post by Laxidasical »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Lol, the Jack is cool, just not my cup of tea...im thinking Northtech Defense maching receiver set for my nxt build...very clean lines, very well made...
I was where you are with reloading awhile back...getting started is the tough part...phase one, get your tools and components...phase two, test loads (which takes awhile too)...then phase three, just reload your fav loads and stock up for range time!
I wasn't a fan of their first two receivers at all! The Jack grew on my for some reason, I figure I'd build something that was fun and different this time around. I'm also kicking around the idea of a .308 build, in which case I'd go with the Aero Precision matched set.

Yeah, I'm taking it slow with reloading and learning what I need to know. Right now I'm just mastering case prep (converting from .223). My process...

1) Cut case down with Harbor Freight cut off saw
2) Resize/de-cap on single stage press
3) Trim, chamfer, and de-burr (all in one shot with the RCBS Pro Trim 2 w/3-Way Cutter and hand drill attachment)
4) Check cases in a Sheridan Engineering gauge
5) Wet tumble w/stainless steel media

I'm going to purchase the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit for actual reloading. I'd love to get something like a Dillon 650 down the line. What are you averaging per round?
— Benjamin Franklin
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Lol, im on a hornady single stage, and im overly OCD...still running various test ladders for my dif builds...prob gonna keep using the single stage for 308 and 300 WM, plus my test ladders...gonna pick up a Lee Turret for 9mm, 45acp, 300 AAC plinkers, 5.56 plinkers...i do everything slow, so prob 50rds/hr right now...individually run every powder charge with Chargemaster 1500 combo...
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

Laxidasical wrote: Yeah, I'm taking it slow with reloading and learning what I need to know. Right now I'm just mastering case prep (converting from .223). My process...

1) Cut case down with Harbor Freight cut off saw
2) Resize/de-cap on single stage press
3) Trim, chamfer, and de-burr (all in one shot with the RCBS Pro Trim 2 w/3-Way Cutter and hand drill attachment)
4) Check cases in a Sheridan Engineering gauge
5) Wet tumble w/stainless steel media

I'm going to purchase the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit for actual reloading. I'd love to get something like a Dillon 650 down the line. What are you averaging per round?
I would tumble with the SS pins before using the sizing die.

Just an FYI if you're considering buying the Lee dies, the Lee 300blk bullet seating die plug might contact the bullet tip instead of the ogive. If that happens your bullets might not seat to the same depth every time. Mine did, but I discovered and replaced the seating die before using it. The full length sizing die works just fine though.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Laxidasical wrote:
BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Nice...i used a Spartan lower for my most recent SBR and really like it...have you had a chance to shoot her yet?
Not yet! I've just entered the wonderful world of reloading (primarily due to the cost of Blackout rounds), so I've spent far more time learning that than at the range. No regrets though, I'll be able to shoot for less than half the cost of commercial ammo! The only thing stopping me from going with the Spartan set again on my next build is The Jack! LOL

Welcome to the fun!

You should probably trim your brass down about another .010 unless you have a specific reason to run it max length. No real benefit to running it long, and can cause issues. You will also need to trim more often.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.