300 BLK VOR-TX vs Car Door- Barnes Barrier-Blind Bullet Test

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

300 BLK VOR-TX vs Car Door- Barnes Barrier-Blind Bullet Test

Post by Quiet Riot »

I've been planning a series of tests for the Barnes VOR-TX load for a long time and finally got around to starting on them. This test turned out much better than I thought it would. Three shots through a steel car door produced three perfect examples of what can happen to an expanding bullet when it meets a barrier.

I'm very impressed with this round so far. Wait until you see its performance against IIIA body armor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adaEF5NJ_iI
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 BLK VOR-TX vs Car Door- Barnes Barrier-Blind Bullet

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Excellent video. Thank you for taking the effort to do this. It's too bad that you couldn't have recovered the 2nd bullet that was loadged in the door panel. A pair of tin snips might have been handy.

Quite some time ago Robert Silvers posted the FBI car door penetration tests on this site. I took a tremendous amount of heat from others on this board when I suggested that the FBI's tests weren't necessarily a true indicator on how this 110gr. bullet would react when hitting a real car door.

There's no question that the Barnes bullet is a purpose built bullet and that it does a great job expanding when conditions allow it to do its job effectively. Unlike a controlled laboratory experiment, sometimes we don't get the results we anticipate, because we can't always control all the viarables under real life situations. Your testing confirms that.
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

Great video. Did you check the weight on the bullet that expanded?
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

2bad4u2 wrote:Excellent video. Thank you for taking the effort to do this. It's too bad that you couldn't have recovered the 2nd bullet that was loadged in the door panel. A pair of tin snips might have been handy.

Quite some time ago Robert Silvers posted the FBI car door penetration tests on this site. I took a tremendous amount of heat from others on this board when I suggested that the FBI's tests weren't necessarily a true indicator on how this 110gr. bullet would react when hitting a real car door.

There's no question that the Barnes bullet is a purpose built bullet and that it does a great job expanding when conditions allow it to do its job effectively. Unlike a controlled laboratory experiment, sometimes we don't get the results we anticipate, because we can't always control all the viarables under real life situations. Your testing confirms that.
Tin snips? :mrgreen: I needed a cutting wheel and no less. It hit a two-piece bracket, and those two layers PLUS the steel door panel wrapped themselves around the bullet like a baseball glove.

I was definitely impressed that the bullet performed so well even 1 out of 3 times. Moral of the story is to keep pulling that trigger. :)
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

Maybe not tin snips. Ha! Whatever is needed under the circumstances is what I should have said.

I took note that you shot the door at a distance of 15 yds. correct? It would be interesting to see what results would be obtained at longer distances like 50 yds. for example. Given a situation where law enforcement personnel have to engage a suspect in a vehicle, I would think the stand-off distance would be significantly greater than 15 yds.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy your videos and glad that I subscribed to your channel.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Those pesky door internals,,,,,,,,LOL

I have spent a lifetime shooting at old junk scrap cars(every farmer has 1 or 2 on their land) and it is amazing and fun to see what damage can occur! LOL

Redneck fun!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

Good video review.
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

firedavis wrote:Great video. Did you check the weight on the bullet that expanded?
I had to get my grain scale out. I didn't bother because it is pretty obvious that no significant material was lost. Still good to know, though.

The scale confirmed my eyes. The expanded bullet came in at 107.7 grains and the unexpanded bullet came in at 107.4 grains. I presume that the protective tip must weigh around 2.5 grains or so to get the 110gr total weight of an unfired bullet.
armed_zebra
Silent But Deadly

Post by armed_zebra »

Thank you for this test and review. I appreciate your videos and always look forward to more!
Silence can not be misquoted.
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

107.7 gr must be the standard after expansion. Here is mine after digging it out of a hog.

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=81183