Handi Rifle

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handi Rifle

Post by Quiet Riot »

I think mine will wear a Weaver Classic V 1-3x20. It's about $160 and is universally praised wherever you look.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
bp_968
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bp_968 »

Quiet Riot wrote:I think mine will wear a Weaver Classic V 1-3x20. It's about $160 and is universally praised wherever you look.
Have you seen reasonably priced a 1-4 style scope with mildots or some other reticle that would work for holdover? I wouldn't mind sighting it in once and then using holdover when switching to subsonic rounds.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

bp_968 wrote:
libertyman777 wrote:
bp_968 wrote:
The way people are talking you'd think sights routinely explode at random forcing people to switch to their backup sights. I realize the tacticool thing to do now days is put backup sights on everything you own, but seriously. Its a 350$ rifle. Toss a 100$ optic on it. Almost anything primary arms sells would work fine. Plenty of people are using those red dots in combat overseas. personally, I wouldn't in combat, but people are, and their not bursting like grenades every other day.
My personal rule of thumb is that the cost of a scope and rings should at least equal the cost of the rifle. But I learned my lesson about cheap glass years ago. There are a few notable exceptions. One is the 4x40 Nikon. Lightweight and tough, it would be a good choice. The other Bushnell 3200 10x40 Mildot. Both are around $200. Fixed optics have less parts to break. A good set of rings and either could be done for $250.

Concerning BUIS, better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Ok first, concerning BUIS: Its a 350$ fun gun/toy. Sure get BUIS on your SHTF combat gun if your so inclined (I have them on mine), but you don't need to mount BUIS on everything you own. lol ;)

As for the glass costing at least as much as the rifle. Well I *would* have agreed with you a few years ago but the formula has changed. I personally bought a Primary Arms 4-16x44 mildot (159$) as a fun scope to toss on a fun build. I didn't expect much, and I certainly didn't expect it to hold a candle to my Night Force 3.5-15x56. Well I would put that scope up against 1000$ pieces of glass without hesitation. I'm totally stunned at how clear and crisp that glass is (even at night). I was directly comparing it to my NF and had real trouble saying the NF was twice as clear, much less 8 times better then the PA scope.

The PA is just one example though. A friend of mine has a 300-350$ 1-4x made by bushnell that has super crisp glass. Easily as clear as my ACOG TA01NSN at twice the price (granted, I would give the durability crown to the ACOG. those are impressive in that way).

I know glass. I use over 20,000$ in nikon glass in my photography daily. And I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that Bushnell or the Primary Arms scopes to anyone. Ten years ago I'd have agreed with you 100%. I remember trying out a 300$ scope at a gunshow back then and being unimpressed. Its one of the reasons I bought my NF when I built my 308 6-7 years ago. I'd probably grab another one of those PA 4-16x scopes if I do another 308 or smaller build.

Oh, and rings still don't seem to be something you can easily skimp on. I spent more on my mount then I did the scope for the Primary Arms tube (Its mounted using the Larue SPR 1.5 QD mount at 200$)
My point exactly. Durability is what I'm talking about. I've got a Simmons 4-12x50 Whitetail Classic AO Mildot downstairs on an airgun. It's clear, bright and repeatable. Cost is $150 or less. Could not ask for more for the money. But it's not going to take the abuse that a NF or USO scope will handle.

And FWIW, back up sights can be nothing more than painting a mark on my can for reference and roughly lining up the grooves on the pic rail with the mark once the scope is removed. It isn't a very good solution but there will be no factory sights to rely on.

Sorry but it's the Jarhead in me that forces me to consider Murphy's Law. "You gotta have a plan. Some plan is better than no plan".

So here's my plan. I've decided to buy a quality optic with quick release rings. The IOR 4x24s are tough and can be picked up for $350 or less. If I buy tough up front, then perhaps the rest is moot. But if I buy a "clear but cheap scope" then I may find myself wanting. Regardless, I will test and see if a post marked on the can will allow for a rough 25 yard sight. If I can hold it inside of 5" at that distance with the hasty sight, it would be good enough. For that matter, the empty barrel of an ink pen could be tied or taped to the pic rail and would probably make a useable sight. Maybe even sighting down the empty pic rail would work, I don't know yet. After the ammunition is exhausted, then it'll become a club if needed.

Because I'll buy a quality optic, I probably won't have a problem But if it do have issues, I have a plan. With the hasty sight arrangement I've introduced an intermediate step between viable firearm and club.

Unlike many of my firearms, this rifle will see a lot of use. Won't be a toy for me. So light and handy, it will be nothing to take it along whenever I head to the farm. It'll get beat and banged around for sure. And if I don't buy one, then my Micro 7 will see that duty. We've got a serious hog problem on our place. Wild crossed with released domestic. Two big pigs were taken down there this year.

But approach it however you like. We seem to have different expectations. You spends your money, you makes your choice.

Paul
Remember............ You're special, unique, one of a kind....................just like everyone else.
Buzduk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Buzduk »

I for one don't think that AAC could have produced a better handi variant! Good job guys. That being said I think this gun would look stupid with iron sights! I also have had experiences with cheap glass in the past but there has been tons of advancements in lesser price optics. And for those that want something cooler there is always

http://www.guns.com/picatinny-love-intr ... n-srs.html
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201 Matt
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Trijicon = BIG $ :shock: $700-800 for a red dot :|

I just don't get it. We have some VERY VERY good red dots out there for $200 or less. Who needs solar guts to break when some red dots run 5 years on one battery and just stay on all the time.

The auto off on some is HUGE too. My problem with the Bushnell or older VORTEX, is I run them dead because they get left on my mistake.

Cool unit but I can't swing a $700 red dot LOL.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

John, I'm with you. For a $350 bush rifle I'm not spending $600 on an optic. For what the rifle is, a VORTEX SPARC is almost perfect for the task. 2MOA dot, light, very compact, and an all around good value.

To each their own. If I'm going to buy big dollar optics I'm putting it on a rifle that has more capabilities than a single shot Handi Rifle.
bp_968
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bp_968 »

Buzduk wrote:I for one don't think that AAC could have produced a better handi variant! Good job guys. That being said I think this gun would look stupid with iron sights! I also have had experiences with cheap glass in the past but there has been tons of advancements in lesser price optics. And for those that want something cooler there is always

LibertyMan777: I guess I can see where you coming from, I just don't see the point on that particular rifle. I have no shortage of rifles so I have to be a bit choosier on how I equip each one. I have a couple *primary* weapons (9mm,556,308, and now 300BLK) that get the expensive treatment. They need to be reliable, accurate, and durable. But I can't afford to do that to every rifle and If i'm going to put expensive stuff on a BLK then its going to be on my 8" Noveske build, not the single shot handi rifle.

Honestly the handi rifle's main purpose in life will be to give to young shooters and female shoots to play with.

In fact, I suspect I'll just buy a TROS 3-lug adapter and run my 9mm Trident9 on it instead of my 762SDN6 because of weight, and make it a subs only gun.

Trijicon optic: Ohh.. I'll have to wait and see how well it does over the next year or two. Maybe pickup a used one when people tire of it for whatever reason. I really liked my ACOG and that red-dot has all the features I want (long battery life, thin tube, large tube, durable).

JohnInNH: I assume your bashing the trijicon based on using it on a handi rifle (where I would agree with you) and not bashing it overall for being expensive (where I would disagree with you). As a primary optic on a SHTF or actual warfighter rifle it looks like a total win. Its not the solar bit that does it in that case, its the durability of a trijicon, the battery life of a aimpoint, and the FOV of a EOtech all in one nice package. Toss a nice Larue flip to side mount and a cheap knockoff 3x or 4x magnifier behind it and you have a great SHTF/Warfighter optic setup.

I use a Eotech (not my favorite at this point) and a knockoff 3x magnifier on my SHTF/HD rifle. The 3x stays off it when in HD mode, but at the range or in SHTF its there if need be. I don't see the point in buying the 600$ aimpoint or EOtech 3x magnifier when you can buy a 100$ knockoff thats almost as good. In the case of the magnifier its perfectly fine to use on a HD/SHTF/War weapon because if it were to fail (unlikely, its a couple pieces of glass wedged into a tube) then you still have a fully functional weapon and fully functional 1x sight.

This space for rent.
Buzduk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Buzduk »

bp_968 wrote:
Buzduk wrote:I for one don't think that AAC could have produced a better handi variant! Good job guys. That being said I think this gun would look stupid with iron sights! I also have had experiences with cheap glass in the past but there has been tons of advancements in lesser price optics. And for those that want something cooler there is always

LibertyMan777: I guess I can see where you coming from, I just don't see the point on that particular rifle. I have no shortage of rifles so I have to be a bit choosier on how I equip each one. I have a couple *primary* weapons (9mm,556,308, and now 300BLK) that get the expensive treatment. They need to be reliable, accurate, and durable. But I can't afford to do that to every rifle and If i'm going to put expensive stuff on a BLK then its going to be on my 8" Noveske build, not the single shot handi rifle.

Honestly the handi rifle's main purpose in life will be to give to young shooters and female shoots to play with.

In fact, I suspect I'll just buy a TROS 3-lug adapter and run my 9mm Trident9 on it instead of my 762SDN6 because of weight, and make it a subs only gun.

Trijicon optic: Ohh.. I'll have to wait and see how well it does over the next year or two. Maybe pickup a used one when people tire of it for whatever reason. I really liked my ACOG and that red-dot has all the features I want (long battery life, thin tube, large tube, durable).

JohnInNH: I assume your bashing the trijicon based on using it on a handi rifle (where I would agree with you) and not bashing it overall for being expensive (where I would disagree with you). As a primary optic on a SHTF or actual warfighter rifle it looks like a total win. Its not the solar bit that does it in that case, its the durability of a trijicon, the battery life of a aimpoint, and the FOV of a EOtech all in one nice package. Toss a nice Larue flip to side mount and a cheap knockoff 3x or 4x magnifier behind it and you have a great SHTF/Warfighter optic setup.

I use a Eotech (not my favorite at this point) and a knockoff 3x magnifier on my SHTF/HD rifle. The 3x stays off it when in HD mode, but at the range or in SHTF its there if need be. I don't see the point in buying the 600$ aimpoint or EOtech 3x magnifier when you can buy a 100$ knockoff thats almost as good. In the case of the magnifier its perfectly fine to use on a HD/SHTF/War weapon because if it were to fail (unlikely, its a couple pieces of glass wedged into a tube) then you still have a fully functional weapon and fully functional 1x sight.
In the grand scheme of things I ask myself which would I rather have on top of my weapon (price not considered) and the answer is always the more expensive option. Usually there is a direct correlation between quality and high price. The price comes from the size, weight savings the battery life, glass quality etc. if all cars cost the same I would most likely pick a bad mofo.
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201 Matt
bp_968
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bp_968 »

Buzduk wrote: In the grand scheme of things I ask myself which would I rather have on top of my weapon (price not considered) and the answer is always the more expensive option. Usually there is a direct correlation between quality and high price. The price comes from the size, weight savings the battery life, glass quality etc. if all cars cost the same I would most likely pick a bad mofo.
Thats like saying you'd get a Ferrari if it was the price of a Kia ;) Heck yah I would! Usually quality does cost money, but in this particular case its just not needed. I personally love doing the whole SHTF thing but sometimes people go nuts with it.

The idea that every weapon they have has to meet some special SHTF criteria where they run out of the 10,000 rounds they have stocked up and have to scavenge for ammo from walmart (because it still has ammo.. lol) so the only options are 5.56/308/762.39/9mm/45acp, and every optic they have has to be nuclear bomb proof ;)

I just want to bash my head into my keyboard when I see people saying that they couldn't get a 300BLK because it wouldn't work for SHTF. Apparently the only SHTF option is slipping from current USA to MadMax-USA in 2 weeks. heh

I'm officially massively off topic now.
bp

This space for rent.