Handloading, what do I need to get started?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

RMSMITH6

Handloading, what do I need to get started?

Post by RMSMITH6 »

I've been a member of this forum for less than a week and from everything I see handloading is the best way to get the most out of my 300 blk. What is everything thing I need to get started without breaking the bank? So far all I know is I'm leaning towards the Lee Classic for my press. Also I have zero experience handloading so please bear with me.
carboyvu

Re: Handloading, what do I need to get started?

Post by carboyvu »

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/74999 ... -press-kit

This is a pretty good deal. Has almost everything you need. Just need a good scale and case trimmer.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

You might want to cut your teeth on a straight wall pistol cartridge like 38 or 45 or something. Very simple way to learn before you move onto bottlenecks and headspacing and trimming and forming and such. Your best bet would be to find a local mentor, or even just take a class like Sportman's offers. Barring that, watch some tutorials by RCBS on Youtube, and read a reloading manual cover to cover. The first half is full of instructions, the second half is the load data.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

PLEASE start with a good Manuel!

I like to recommend LYMAN's because they dont make Powder, Primers or bullets and they products that they use covers a good selection of other makers.

I agree YOU TUBE is a excellent recourse.

Good luck,

MERRY CHRISTmas,
CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Start with a good book.

There is a recent release that I have not been able to finish yet that I would recommend highly.

"Top grade ammo" by Glen Zediker. It starts with the absolute basics of things like what actually happens when the firing pin hits the primer then onto bullet construction and other components ending with loading for competition. He breaks down tools, how when, and why to use them.

The book is laid out in a conversational way so it easy to understand and learn terms that are used. The other nice thing for 300blk shooters is that is written from the perspective of shooting an AR. The author is a pretty well accomplished competition shooter.

I would suggest reading this or something like it before starting to buy equipment, it might change your mind about what you buy. Reloading manuals are a good source in a broad sense, but a good how to is hard to beat.
http://www.zediker.com/books/TGA/TGA_main.html
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
hobbesy

Post by hobbesy »

I'd like to add, as well as a good reloading manual!

if possible start out with an experienced and trustworthy buddy who can watch and offer advice and guidance
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

the hornady books have the largest published dataset to date that i'm aware of for the 300blk anywhere. I've got 8th and 9th, and will be hopefully getting 10th from santa (or gift cards that i can use to acquire it)

lyman is probably a very close 2nd, lots of good info there - and honestly, you can never have too many reloading manuals.

the "one book, one Caliber" series by loadbooks USA was supposed to be releasing a 300 blk edition, but i have yet to see in the wild yet. I like to keep one of these on hand as its a good place for me to store pet load notes near the bench. I keep my master data sheet in an excell type spreadsheet, but having quick notes handy is always nice.

one thing every reloader needs is a good plan for their order of operations for reloading. The key to successful reloading is consistency. So being able to follow the same process over and over is key for both short and long term success. [edit] its exceptionally critical though when just getting started so that you dont unintentionally forget something and miss what may be a critical step! [/edit]

as you work through your learning phase of reloading, start to make a list of what order you're going to do stuff in, then please post it in here and let some of the experience folks help you fine tune it a bit to your needs. I have two such copies that i keep around - a primary thats a full detailed list of operations that i made up when i first got started, and a second one that i made into little business card sized cheet-sheets to tick them off as i complete them because i tend to do my brass in stages so i keep my little printed note sheet in the bag with each batch of brass so i can do a bit here and there and come back and not forget which bag i left off at what stage in the process.

if you'd like to use it for a base to build your own, please feel free to do so, but please understand this is not an end-all of what needs to be done, this is just quick descriptors so i can easily track where i am in the process then i set a bag of brass down because i'm out of time that specific day as i often work on my brass prep as time allows - 30 to 60 mins at a time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B96vyk ... pFd0k/view

please note that the order of operation for this little cheater card are as follows

1 2
3 4
5 6
etc...

also, on the last two where it shows neck expand/powder and bullet/crimp - those optional things (neck expansion and crimping) are there on an as needed basis.

again i stress that this is just a quickie note process i have developed to accent my reloading process i have documented and use at my bench. as you can clearly see, it doesnt show a single inspection stage, however that happens at several places throughout the process. it does not reflect the full details of the reloading process, nor is it intended to, but something like this is a good basic tool that can be highly helpful. hopefully you'll find it as nearly as usefull as i have.

one other important note - while there is a LOT of useful data out on the interwebs, NEVER blindly use anyone else's pet load! what is safe and functional in one person's firearm may not be so in yours! always verify that load data against other published sources, and then do a proper load workup to verify the information you've found. Your safety and that of others around you can be directly effected by making hasty decisions and using unverified information. its just not worth the risk!

finally, dont hesistate to ask LOTS of questions. the more you know the safer you'll be.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

plant.one wrote:one thing every reloader needs is a good plan for their order of operations for reloading.
^^Yep. A little under two years ago I was in your position, and I know hard it is to filter all the information out there on the web. What worked for me was to break down every step in the reloading process (referencing a manual), and then list every piece of hardware required at each step. For each tool, I looked up options and prices (MidwayUSA and Midsouth Shooters were my faves, YMMV). It took quite a while to build it all out, but if you do it in a spreadsheet you can exchange out different parts with an eye toward your bottom line. I know, I know... I'm a nerd that way. 8)

As a newbie, I put a premium on re-sellability (is that a word?), just in case I were to discover reloading wasn't for me. That consideration led me away from the lowest-priced option toward one of the more expensive but highly regarded brands. No need to dirty the waters with what brand that was, it's not important - what's important is what is best for your situation.

And yes, don't hesitate to ask questions. This forum is very tolerant of what you might think is a dumb question, and I'm speaking from experience because early on I was one of those "Why are my case mouths dented?" guys :oops:, and nobody threw stones.
sirgknight

Post by sirgknight »

First of all, I think you are very wise to want to start with a single stage press. It is my opinion that the single stage provides a greater learning curve for the beginner. You will make mistakes, as we all have, and you will have a greater understanding of what the mistake involves. Cost being a concern I would highly recommend the Lee 50th Anniversary Kit. Every item in this kit is essential to the beginning re-loader. It doesn't have everything that you will need, but the cost of this kit should enable you to obtain the few other things that you should have on your re-loading bench. You certainly should have a re-loading manual and the Lyman is a very good addition. You will also need some kind of bullet puller (trust me) and the kinetic puller is user-friendly, low cost (around $15) and very efficient. You can do a search for a better price, but the following is one of the lowest prices I could find on the Lee kit:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... aQodUVcK8g

NOTICE, NOTICE, NOTICE: Safety is the most important thing in dealing with re-loading equipment. Access to a fellow re-loader who could be a mentor for you would be best, but if that is not possible then ASK QUESTIONS. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. There is a wealth of knowledge on forums like this one and most members will give you personal experience advice and will tell the things that will both benefit you and that will get you in trouble. If you are like the majority of us you will find that metallic reloading is very addictive and, if done correctly and safely, you will find a lot of satisfaction in this wonderful hobby. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

RMSMITH6 wrote:I've been a member of this forum for less than a week and from everything I see handloading is the best way to get the most out of my 300 blk. What is everything thing I need to get started without breaking the bank? So far all I know is I'm leaning towards the Lee Classic for my press. Also I have zero experience handloading so please bear with me.
Hi there and welcome!

I always point people this post: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79003&start=20#p759559

It has a good list of items to get started. Don't freak on the overall price, it is realistic but realize you reload for better quality ammo and the ability to have/shoot ammo whenever you like/need. Cost savings won't come until you fire like 3-4k+ rounds. I also recommend you read every post in that thread, all 4 pages.

ABC's of Reloading is a good book to get started on learning the process of reloading and any of the other manuals mentioned are great. As mentioned the Hornady 9th and 10th ed have published 300BLK load info which is great.

I hope this info helps :)