Sizer die adjustment

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Sizer die adjustment

Post by Bgd »

Do you adjust your size die down to where it cams over for brass in an AR 15. With my bolt Guns I usually just neck size, but that doesn't seem to be working in my 300 blk AR. I have been having problems with the cartridge not clambering fully and getting stuck. I am thinking I need to full length size and just shoot the brass until the pockets are loose. Is that what most do?
NRA life member.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sizer die adjustment

Post by smustian »

Raise ram to the top. Run full length sizing die in until it makes firm contact with the shell holder. Lower ram a little and screw die in 1/4 turn more. Tighten lock ring. Has worked for me for over 30 years.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Buy the hornady case comparator tool for you micrometer for 35 or 40 bucks(whatever it is now). Measure and set your sizing die accordingly.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

What brass are you using? Could be a neck thickness issue.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

It is FC 300 blackout brass. What would be the maximum neck thickness?
NRA life member.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

When I first started Blackout, I had some failures to fire in some, but not all rifles. I was the first person to get the Sheridan gauge per the maker. The gauge told me my sizing die was setting the shoulder back too far, and the cases entered the chamber a touch too deep. With the aid of the gauge it was determined that cases were sized properly when the die was unscrewed one half turn out from touching the shell holder. Now of course that is my die set and shell holder, but the point is that the gauge helped me properly set the sizing die up.

Weird, but when forming Blackout cases, if my die is not firmly touching the shell holder, the cases are not sized enough.

I have not had such problems with other rifle cartridges.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Bgd wrote:It is FC 300 blackout brass. What would be the maximum neck thickness?
If it's not converted brass, the neck wouldn't be the issue. Just a guess, carry on.
Last edited by bangbangping on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

Do you have the Sheridan slotted gage? I have been using the wilson gage and it has not shown the shoulder was out of spec. I just purchased the RCBS small base die to try. I also polished the expander button slightly to try and get some added neck tension. I had to pull 50 rounds to run through the small base die. Will see how these work once I have them loaded again.
NRA life member.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

The Wilson gauge is not a chamber gauge like the Sheridan.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Bgd wrote:Do you adjust your size die down to where it cams over for brass in an AR 15. With my bolt Guns I usually just neck size, but that doesn't seem to be working in my 300 blk AR. I have been having problems with the cartridge not clambering fully and getting stuck. I am thinking I need to full length size and just shoot the brass until the pockets are loose. Is that what most do?
Is this a new BCG? Is it well lubricated and is it clean? ONLY time I have had issues was when the bolt was getting dry. Be sure to oil the bolt inside the BCG. (Thru the two holes directly on the seals) Yea, it will smoke a bit but it usually will also run better. At least until the new bolt is broken in.

YES, I always start with the die firmly against the shell holder then slightly more so it slightly cams over. IF other problems develop you can look to see if your moving your shoulder back. Then adjust accordingly.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS