300 Blackout "Blanks"

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

skeetman77

300 Blackout "Blanks"

Post by skeetman77 »

Anyone ever make blanks for their 300 blackout? I recently bought a golf ball launcher and wanted to use it on my 300 blk.
Thanks
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout "Blanks"

Post by rjacobs »

I am somewhere between

-DONT DO IT

and

-DO IT, THIS COULD BE AWESOME

Beyond that I have nothing to offer of substance!

Do you need a blank like a 5.56 blank that will actually produce gas and cycle the action?

Or do you just need the primer shot?

Im thinking its the former and I have no clue how to tell you to proceed except very carefully.

I personally think I would use 5.56 blanks on a 5.56 upper as they are relatively easy to get a hold of.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I will neither confirm or deny a "friend" taking a regular loaded 5.56 blank and putting it thru a 300blk sizer. Then firing said blank in a 300blk 16 inch gun with a blank adapter.
:shock:
8) :twisted:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
skeetman77

Post by skeetman77 »

LOL

This is 100% for the fun of launching golf balls 300-400 yards. I found a company www.atlanticwallblanks.com that can make them for me but I haven't seen the price yet.

I thought about taking the M2000 (5.56 blank) and running them through the 300 sizer.
BUT the thought of my machine exploding in my face has deterred me from that approach.

Thanks guys!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

How about making your own?

Star crimp dies, 30 cal. is available.
https://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/bc

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
skeetman77

Post by skeetman77 »

I will look into the crimp die route. Which powder would you recommend? How much?
Thanks Dellet....
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

For what you're trying to do, I honestly have know idea. The goal for making blanks for me was noise.

Since you are trying to launch something, I have know idea how that would work. Not sure what the added pressure of the golf ball might do.

It's been a long time but 10 grains of Unique for a 30-30 blank comes to mind.

For shotgun I just replaced the shot with a filler like cornmeal and used about 75% load on the powder i normally used. These were used training dogs.

The idea with pistol or rifle blanks is to make noise and then drop pressure as quickly as possible for safety reasons. So in general a very fast powder. Actual commercial blanks used a purpose blend powder that I could never find a source for but that was pre-internet days.

I would probably search "Bob Shell" and variations of blanks and custom cartridges. He has written extensively about creating obsolete cartridges for shooting antiques both live fire and exhibition. here's a start

http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -ammo.html
http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/2008/ ... owder.html
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

skeetman77 wrote:LOL

This is 100% for the fun of launching golf balls 300-400 yards. I found a company http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com that can make them for me but I haven't seen the price yet.

I thought about taking the M2000 (5.56 blank) and running them through the 300 sizer.
BUT the thought of my machine exploding in my face has deterred me from that approach.

Thanks guys!
I have, i mean my "friend" has sized a 100 plus. and fired them. as long as you use enough lube, it is not a problem. However i did, I mean he did need to use a .222 die set to squeeze the tips down enough to fit inside the chamber. without doing so, the last little bit would not allow it to chamber.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I use the .22 blanks at Home Depot to launch golf balls. They are sold in different power levels. I use a pistol and with the strongest it will launch them over 100 yards.

You can also use them to launch .22 pellets out of a real gun.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
skeetman77

Post by skeetman77 »

Thanks guys,
I spoke to www.atlanticwallblanks.com and they are going to load me up a batch.
I will let you know how it works out.
T