Dillon 308 die not bumping back the shoulder

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

stl929

Dillon 308 die not bumping back the shoulder

Post by stl929 »

I am using the Dillon 308 Carbide Full Length Resizing Die, and I noticed the case shoulder is not getting bumped back no matter how far down I screw the die. In fact, the farther I turn it, the longer my headspace measurement becomes. Seems the case is growing due to resizing, but the shoulder never comes into contact with the die, creating a larger headspace measurement. My goal is to have uniform headspace between my reloaded brass. Is there no way for this die to bump the shoulder back? Am I missing something, or do I just need to get a different die that bumps the shoulder? Thanks!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: Dillon 308 die not bumping back the shoulder

Post by hardcase »

I have a Dillon .308 die in my 550B and have not had a problem. I would call them. They have a very good no BS warranty if there is a problem with their stuff. First rate tech support too.

I run my die so it makes contact with the table, with a snug fit that I can feel with the crank handle.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

I might be asking a dumb question, but you using a 308 die for 300blk? Or 308 die for 308?

Or did you miss type and mean 300blk die.

This is a 300blk forum afterall.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

What kind of case lube are you using?

This may not apply to your exact situation since it does not involve the same brand of die or press.

I had some trouble with 280 Remington one time. Actually had shoulder grow as you described. Called Forster, and sent back my die for them to inspect. Forster found nothing wrong and sent the die back along with a sample of their high pressure case lube.

I discovered that I was over turning the die find the "sweet spot" for proper shoulder adjustment. Literally had to turn die in small increments after bottoming out the die. (Like as small a turn as possible)

Also, during this lesson, I discovered I was not lubing my cases uniformly. I use imperial die wax. Now I make sure I drag my fingertip across the paste every time, not every third or fourth case, which was probably the bigger problem for me than marking too large die turns in the lock ring.

Check the instructions for your die, follow them exactly. And make sure you're using a good quality case lube, and use it as uniformly as possible on each case. If that fails, call Dillon and ask for help.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
cdl
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cdl »

I returned a Dillon 308 FL carbide sizer a couple years ago to Dillon. It had no neck / shoulder section in it. Apparently they sleeve them in two pieces. Take a look inside. It was pretty obvious. Maybe they sent it on to you. Either way, Dillon will exchange it, no hassle, for you if you give them a call.
stl929

Post by stl929 »

I am using a 308 die for my 308. I load 300BLK as well, which is why I am a member of this forum. I figured those here would have an answer for me on my 308 issue. I use imperial wax for my case lube and will focus on uniformly lubing each case. I inspected the die carefully and noticed there is no shoulder section inside. I will call Dillon this week to figure this out. I appreciate everyone's comments and help!
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

All I own are Dillon pistol dies. I had no idea their rifle dies were made that way. I guess that would explain things.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

wildfowler wrote:All I own are Dillon pistol dies. I had no idea their rifle dies were made that way. I guess that would explain things.
Their pistol dies, at least the carbide ones, are 2 pieces as well. I had the carbide section come out of my 9mm die(might have been 45 die) and they replaced it no problem.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Well I'll be dammed. I've had my two Dillon 550's set up for so long, that I forgot what those dies even looked like. One for 9mm, and one for 45 auto.

Yes, I'm a DA sometimes.

Hahah and thanks.
triggerman300
Senior Silent Operator

Post by triggerman300 »

Could be a too thick shell holder.