Reloading question- cost

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Paxamus

Reloading question- cost

Post by Paxamus »

So I like many others am considering reloading. For years I didn't because I didn't have any time to, now I am seeing chunks of time that I could if I had the equipment. Now for the question- I love to shoot my 300 suppressed with Subs and its getting expensive- what is your ballpark cost per round to reload your subs? Also do you advise trying to reload 300 subs as a start or stick with something else?

All comments appreciated, I have fallen in love with my SBR and shooting subs (not hunting) and want to do it more, but need more info before I order some stuff- Hell I almost bought a bunch of reloading stuff, but ended up buying more AMMO!

Thanks guys
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloading question- cost

Post by FOB »

You won't save money after you count up equipment cost and your time investment.

You will be able to make custom ammo for your rifles, tailored to your needs.

You won't be a slave to market fluctuations if you stock up. There will be no "ammo shortage" if you buy components over the next four years.

There are a ton of reasons to reload. Be aware that saving money is not one of them.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

My initial reloading investment (Dillon 550, tumbler, dies, etc...) was easily recouped after about a year of shooting IPSC. Where you don't save money is when you do a bunch of stocking up so you can save money.

As to the cost for one round of subsonic 300 AAC Blackout ammo:

Brass can be free if you make your own or can be bought for about $0.10
Powder and Primer will be about $0.08
Jacketed bullets will run from $0.19 (Blem Nosler 190 gr CC) to $0.47 (Retail price for Sierra 220 gr MK)

Edit: For those people that want to be paid for every hour of their life I just did the math. At $40 an hour for my time add about $0.10 cents per round. For me though it's a hobby.

Here's a link for 190-220 gr blem/overrun stuff at Shooter's Pro Shop:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading- ... jax/1.html
FOB wrote:You won't save money after you count up equipment cost and your time investment.

You will be able to make custom ammo for your rifles, tailored to your needs.

You won't be a slave to market fluctuations if you stock up. There will be no "ammo shortage" if you buy components over the next four years.

There are a ton of reasons to reload. Be aware that saving money is not one of them.
Last edited by tfbit on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

[quote="tfbit"]My initial reloading investment (Dillon 550, tumbler, dies, etc...) was easily recouped after about a year of shooting IPSC.

As to the cost for one round of subsonic 300 AAC Blackout ammo:

Brass can be free if you make your own or can be bought for about $0.10
Powder and Primer will be about $0.08
Jacketed bullets will run from $0.19 (Blem Nosler 190 gr CC) to $0.47 (Retail price for Sierra 220 gr MK)

Here's a link for 190-220 gr blem/overrun stuff at Shooter's Pro Shop:

http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading- ... jax/1.html

It is still a false economy if you don't count your time investment. I've been out in the shop lately sorting those "10 cent" 556 cases, polishing, cleaning, trimming, inspecting, reaming primer pockets, etc. I enjoy it, and all of my rifles shoot sub-MOA because of it, and I have lots of ammo. The shortage of the last few years has not affected me.

But I'm not saving money. I'm assuring a supply line of high-quality ammo.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

FOB wrote:It is still a false economy if you don't count your time investment.
Depends on what you would do with that time otherwise. Watch TV? Second job? Hookers and blow?
Gyrkin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gyrkin »

You only need to count your time if the time you spend reloading is taking away from time that otherwise would have been spent earning money. If it only takes time away from sitting on the couch watching TV, your time cost is zero.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I mostly shoot 220 gr Leatherheads for subs. Much cheaper than jacket bullets.
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

Jeez. No, I don't do "hookers and blow," I cut off cable years ago, and don't pay any attention to sports (fuck Kaper-nick). I stay busy with family, chores, hunting, fishing, etc.

If I worked one extra shift per month I could buy a ton of bulk ammo. So I am not "saving money" through reloading. If you are, good for you, but I would like to speak with your accountant to get the real numbers.

There are all kinds of great reasons to reload. For most folks saving a $ isn't really one of them.
BoomerVF14
Silent But Deadly

Post by BoomerVF14 »

Gyrkin wrote:
You only need to count your time if the time you spend reloading is taking away from time that otherwise would have been spent earning money. If it only takes time away from sitting on the couch watching TV, your time cost is zero.
^^THIS. Who cares how many cents per round I "save"? It's a really fun hobby, plus it gets me off my butt posting 300BlkTalk.com comments :mrgreen: and out manufacturing a valuable commodity in my spare time.

Gotta confess though... I only got started this fantastic hobby because I thought I was going to save money! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny how my perspective changed once I took the plunge.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.