Reloading question- cost

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Re: Reloading question- cost

Post by DoubleJ »

The more calibers you reload the less it costs per round, but no, most of us will never save money. I do feel like I can shoot about 3 times as much for similar cost though, excluding equipment cost and just looking at components.

As for starting with 300blk, I don't recommend it. Start with a straight wall pistol case, they're the easiest to learn on. I started with 45 Colt from a 454 Casull. No way I could break anything without doing it on purpose.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
Paxamus

Post by Paxamus »

I appreciate yalls input. I doubt I would save money at all, I tend to go overboard anyway. I want to shoot more and figured if I'm not saving any money, I could at least have more ammo. Appreciate it.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

bangbangping wrote:
FOB wrote:It is still a false economy if you don't count your time investment.
Depends on what you would do with that time otherwise. Watch TV? Second job? Hookers and blow?
Hookers and blow? Don't threaten me with a good time.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Paxamus wrote:I appreciate yalls input. I doubt I would save money at all, I tend to go overboard anyway. I want to shoot more and figured if I'm not saving any money, I could at least have more ammo. Appreciate it.
For 12 to 15 hundred you can be set up nicely and then it's just a matter of how much you shoot on how long it takes to recoup the cost. You definitely have to not count your time as an expense. And you will need a entire room dedicated to it. My loads usually end up about half the cost of factory and as others have said,they are more accurate. That is also shooting quality bullets to run through a suppressor. One part that sucks is you will start worrying about recovering your brass. The rcbs top of the line kit is where I started and has worked very well for me.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:
Depends on what you would do with that time otherwise. Watch TV? Second job? Hookers and blow?
:lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

FOB wrote:So I am not "saving money" through reloading. If you are, good for you, but I would like to speak with your accountant to get the real numbers.
No, even aside from time I'm not saving money. But it's fun to pretend. :lol:

I'm just saying that you can't always count your time by how how much you would earn if working. Leisure/hobby time has value, too, and I think most people reach a balance where time off is personally worth as much as money from working. Otherwise they'd be working more. So the real "cost" of reloading time is the opportunity cost of some other leisure activity. Personally, I enjoy the process and find that shooting my own ammo is rewarding in itself. What's the dollar value of that? I have no idea.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

aint saved a dime yet, but with my ammo budget i shoot more per $ than i would if i was buying it off the shelf.

although i've also funded upgrades to my reloading kit with my (cost per round) 'savings'

long game, yes i'm ahead of where i was if i was paying manufacturers per trigger pull, but like everyone else, i dont think i've actually spent any less $$ to get there.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
FOB
Silent But Deadly

Post by FOB »

Some facts:

1) You can fit (barely) 2400 loose rounds of 556 in a GI 20mm grenade ammo crate.

2) Said ammo crate then weighs 74.6 lbs

3) How many 20mm grenade crates do I own? None of your business.

4) I saved no money whatsoever :mrgreen:
Last edited by FOB on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
guyina4x4

Post by guyina4x4 »

I've been reloading for about 5 years
I can reload
223 for 25 cents or less per round (right now about 12 cents) I got several thousand bullets at a yard sale for $30
300 aac for around .30 cents, depending on bullet cost, I've got them as cheap as 11 cents but usually around .20 cents
.308 around 40 cents
9 mm for around .10 cents
380 for around .10 cents

I have a LEE 4 hole turret press that was about $200 with a set of 9MM dies.
I lost count a long time ago how many rounds I've loaded, I'd guess around 10k to 12K rounds
I cannot say that I've saved any money because of it
but I have shot a lot of ammo I would not have been able too if I'd not reloaded it myself.
I have much more time available than cash

and yes rifle cartridges are a lot more work to reload than pistol
lot more handeling in rifle ammo
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Gyrkin wrote:
You only need to count your time if the time you spend reloading is taking away from time that otherwise would have been spent earning money. If it only takes time away from sitting on the couch watching TV, your time cost is zero.
You still need to count your time even if you couldn't have otherwise spent it earning money, IF you would rather have spent that time doing something else. Then it becomes a matter of how much you would be willing to pay to free up that time for your other activity, and still meet your ammo requirements.