Help with 90gr XTP Sub load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Help with 90gr XTP Sub load

Post by Max713 »

Been working up some new loads, and this one has been giving me fits.
After some reading (specifically the "Lightweight single shot load thread"), and messaging some members I worked up a good load in terms of muzzle velocity, but I'm struggling with accuracy.

The rifle is a RARR, Omega suppressor.

Load 1:
Hornady 90gr XTP
5.0gr Trail Boss
COAL 1.750"
1033 FPS Average

Load 2:
Hornady 90gr XTP
4.9gr Trail Boss
COAL 1.750"
986 FPS

I'm siding with the ladder, purely because with a deviation of 50 +/- FPS, the 5.0gr load is on the verge of being noisy.
Now, both loads are grouping around 1.5-2.0" at 50 yards...

One poster indicated he loaded as long as 1.815" COAL... The bullet is barely seated, AT ALL at that point. But he said that is where he started to see accuracy:
farm use wrote:Encore
barrel: 16" Bugera
Suppressed: AAC Cylone
Bullet: Hornady 90 gn XTP
Powder: Trail Boss
Brass: Converted range pickup Nickel
Primer: CCI 400
Charge: 4.8 gn
OAL: 1.815"
OAL with Hornady bullet compator 1.632"
Crimp: Very light
Velocity: Ave 1039 ES: 54

Note: I had to set the bullet out very long for accuracy, but once found it shoots great. The pic is 10 rounds at 50 yrds using a Nikon P-300 scope. I called one flyer just below the group. The black dot to the right was aim point.

At what point is seating depth too little?
Frustrated with such poor accuracy in my loads, curious on what others have found.
On a positive note, my new 208gr A-Max/H110 load was shooting 0.25" consistently at 50 yards :mrgreen:

The rifle... Just because.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help with 90gr XTP Sub load

Post by rebel »

Don't trim your brass. Let some super loads out of that rifle stretch the brass a bit. Then you will have a bit more neck to play with. It takes less depth than you may think to keep the bullet straight and held firm. Drop your load to 4.8 and check the noise level.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

My 90gr XTP load isn't nearly as accurate as my 208 AMAX AR Sub load either. I think it was my 4227 load that put 5 in the same hole a couple of years ago with my son behind the gun.
I'm at 1.74" COAL but with 4.4gr of Unique on the XTPs that gets me 1001 fps. I don't recall the accuracy but I shoot the little 2" plates at 50 yards with ease and splatted a Possum with it just the other evening.
Next range session I'll take some pics of the group.
FWIW I still use the XTPs for the performance of the HP on varmints but just for range fun I stocked up on a bunch of 110gr FMJ round nose for 30 Cal Carbine and use them instead. I'll ck the accuracy with those as well but they pretty much have the same zero at 50 yards as the XTPs.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

IME,if you are trying to work up an accurate load at distance (+200 yds) solely by the ES or SD you are wasting your time! Focus on the accuracy side, ignore ES &SD and shoot a proper ladder. Narrow and fine tune it from there, note the velocity that your gun likes and go from there.

My method will likely fly in the face of conventional wisdom by has proven itself to me and others
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

rebel wrote:Don't trim your brass. Let some super loads out of that rifle stretch the brass a bit. Then you will have a bit more neck to play with. It takes less depth than you may think to keep the bullet straight and held firm. Drop your load to 4.8 and check the noise level.
Hadn't thought of that. Are you running longer than SAAMI, just going off what clears the sheridan?
KTMRacer wrote:My 90gr XTP load isn't nearly as accurate as my 208 AMAX AR Sub load either. I think it was my 4227 load that put 5 in the same hole a couple of years ago with my son behind the gun.
I'm at 1.74" COAL but with 4.4gr of Unique on the XTPs that gets me 1001 fps. I don't recall the accuracy but I shoot the little 2" plates at 50 yards with ease and splatted a Possum with it just the other evening.
FWIW I still use the XTPs for the performance of the HP on varmints but just for range fun I stocked up on a bunch of 110gr FMJ round nose for 30 Cal Carbine and use them instead. I'll ck the accuracy with those as well but they pretty much have the same zero at 50 yards as the XTPs.
I'd be interested in your results on both.
2" at 50 yards will probably do for most applications, but I'm convinced there's a more accurate load.
certifiable wrote:IME,if you are trying to work up an accurate load at distance (+200 yds) solely by the ES or SD you are wasting your time! Focus on the accuracy side, ignore ES &SD and shoot a proper ladder. Narrow and fine tune it from there, note the velocity that your gun likes and go from there.

My method will likely fly in the face of conventional wisdom by has proven itself to me and others
I agree, but in this case I'm developing this load specifically for pest/whatever bleeds control. Performance of the bullet directly correlates to FPS, so I'd like to maintain as much velocity as possible while retaining accuracy...
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

No, not longer than Saami, just as long as I can get it. I didn't even consider this when I loaded the thing to begin with, tried it later and left it that way. These are fired out of a handi rifle.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Max713 wrote:
rebel wrote:Don't trim your brass. Let some super loads out of that rifle stretch the brass a bit. Then you will have a bit more neck to play with. It takes less depth than you may think to keep the bullet straight and held firm. Drop your load to 4.8 and check the noise level.
Hadn't thought of that. Are you running longer than SAAMI, just going off what clears the sheridan?
KTMRacer wrote:My 90gr XTP load isn't nearly as accurate as my 208 AMAX AR Sub load either. I think it was my 4227 load that put 5 in the same hole a couple of years ago with my son behind the gun.
I'd be interested in your results on both.
2" at 50 yards will probably do for most applications, but I'm convinced there's a more accurate load.
certifiable wrote:IME,if you are trying to work up an accurate load at distance (+200 yds) solely by the ES or SD you are wasting your time! Focus on the accuracy side, ignore ES &SD and shoot a proper ladder. Narrow and fine tune it from there, note the velocity that your gun likes and go from there.

I agree, but in this case I'm developing this load specifically for pest/whatever bleeds control. Performance of the bullet directly correlates to FPS, so I'd like to maintain as much velocity as possible while retaining accuracy...
Apparently my memory is about as bad as my 50 yard group with the XTPs. Tried em yesterday and it wasn't good. However the 110gr were pretty tight. If I can get my photobucket issue worked out ill post my results for all to see.
#3is300blk

Post by #3is300blk »

Hey there, on the newer side to 300 blk. Have worked up a load for 147gr but was trying to find load data for 110gr carbine bullets. Did u have any ftf/fte on your 110gr RN loads? Care to share some load data please :)
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

If I can get my photobucket issue worked out ill post my results for all to see.
Thats a TALL order, GOOD LUCK with that... Been ticking me off consistently for last couple months... They WONT fix and claim there is no problems... yet one folder of mine has 500 pics and i can only access 25...

Sorry for the hijack. Photobucket SUX!

If you do a chamber case of the chamber you can Taylor the brass as rebel is suggesting. Personally I like to see .125 seating dept as minimum. I usually suggest bullet diameter depth as min.

Good luck!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

cwlongshot wrote:Personally I like to see .125 seating dept as minimum. I usually suggest bullet diameter depth as min.
Nothing wrong with that as a rule of thumb, but this is a stubbly little bullet just over a half inch long. Even seating .125, it will have a long jump to the lands. In my Model 7, I've had no issues seating them .100" deep or less.

There is no doubt that this is not a bench rest bullet, but IMO you should be able to get 1" or less at 50 with a little work.