Help with 90gr XTP Sub load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

JoeHarley13
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help with 90gr XTP Sub load

Post by JoeHarley13 »

I loaded up about 30 with various charge weights of Unique. I never got very good accuracy with them. Around 1-1.5" at 25 yards out of the RARR. I too had hoped to use them on small game, but moved along to more accurate bullets. The Xtreme 150gr plated 30-30 bullet gave me much better accuracy (.5"-.75" at 25yards), even better than the 110gr carbine bullets. They are my cheap plinker bullets.

I think there is just too much jump and not enough bearing surface to get great accuracy from the 90gr XTP. Still useable, but not ideal for head shots on game.
#3is300blk

Post by #3is300blk »

JoeHarley13 wrote:I loaded up about 30 with various charge weights of Unique. I never got very good accuracy with them. Around 1-1.5" at 25 yards out of the RARR. I too had hoped to use them on small game, but moved along to more accurate bullets. The Xtreme 150gr plated 30-30 bullet gave me much better accuracy (.5"-.75" at 25yards), even better than the 110gr carbine bullets. They are my cheap plinker bullets.

I think there is just too much jump and not enough bearing surface to get great accuracy from the 90gr XTP. Still useable, but not ideal for head shots on game.

thanks, that was what i was thinking would be the problem in an AR, but then i saw some load data from sierra for the M1 round. of course they didn't say if there was any feed issues

i think my uncle has some spare 110 RN laying around i might have to "borrow" to test out :)

once i get some i'll post back and let you know if it works.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

The 90xtp is the most difficult bullet I've loaded to obtain decent accuracy out of. I ended up loading ladders with Unique, choosing the most accurate, then ladders adjusting length with the most accurate charge weight. Then adjusted the FCD. Ended up with 5/8" groups at 50yds out of my CVA rifle.

Someone on here claimed they stuck a bullet using my charge weight so work your way down if using it..legal speak..yadda...yadda...not responsible...carry on semper fi.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=96263
Cannonsville69

Post by Cannonsville69 »

What C.O.L are you guys using with these short bullets ??
I have some 90gr XTP and some light Sierra ...they're all just a little over half an inch. Hornady XTP .518" , Speer.54" , Speer 110gr .615" ...all very short .
Any problems with bullet jump ?
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

Cannonsville69 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:45 pm What C.O.L are you guys using with these short bullets ??
I have some 90gr XTP and some light Sierra ...they're all just a little over half an inch. Hornady XTP .518" , Speer.54" , Speer 110gr .615" ...all very short .
Any problems with bullet jump ?
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

Couple of videos of what the 90gr XTP over 20gr of LilGun does.

https://youtu.be/vMEFaRoJcNI

https://youtu.be/DDsAUwZUNqM