Walnut Media tumbling problem

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

zrile9
Senior Silent Operator

Walnut Media tumbling problem

Post by zrile9 »

So I just put in a ton of brass in a tumbler and most of the brass has tiny bits of walnut in the flash hole. Is it ok to reload and/or how do I get this shit out? Thanks in advance.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Walnut Media tumbling problem

Post by rebel »

Poke it. Don't reload it with it in there as the hole is the fire delivery port for the boomy stuff.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

No, its not ok to reload, blocking the primer from the powder probably will cause some problems with consistency and the primer probably would be hard to fully seat causing the possibility of slam fires.

I still use walnut/corn cob media and I tumble brass again after sizing to remove lube, causing the same problem you have. I just grab the brass one piece at a time and if I can not see light through the flash hole, I take a straight dental pick and push the piece of media out. Usually it is stuck from the primer side for whatever reason and is easiest to push it out from the inside of the case.

If you do not want the media to infiltrate your flash hole, clean the brass before sizing/depriming and use a lube that doesn't require wiping off. I use the dental pick method in conjunction of looking over the brass for defects so it does not really add extra time.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
zrile9
Senior Silent Operator

Post by zrile9 »

Appreciate it guys. I had one of those tiny little watch screwdrivers laying around and just poked them out. Didn't take long.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

you can run it back through the press with a lee universal decapper... that'll clear the flash holes right smart quick for ya. this is especailly true if ya have a progressive press.

as others have noted - this is unfortunately a must clean situation.

when i'm using walnut, this is what i have for my tumbler

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coa ... 92150.html

over several years, and thousands of pieces of brass i rarely recall having to clean it out of flash holes. i specifically kept away from the fine stuff for that possibility.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I've used this exact same stuff for a long time. It gets in the primer holes occasionally. Is this a devastating problem? In my opinion, no. I've probably loaded and shot thousands of rounds that had a kernel stuck in the flash hole and didn't even know it. 99% of the time I load on the progressive, so either sizing removes kernels or I put a universal decapper in station 1 for multi-pass stuff.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I tumble before I size & de prime.
peace through superior firepower
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I use walnut media because I like it better than corn cob.

I've got 2 words for you.

Dental pick.

I have found that if you tumble for an excessively long time, the more media packs itself into the primer pocket.

You tumble a half an hour, you will have very few if any in there.

I have no need to run my tumbler for hours on end or overnight.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

I used compressed air to clear the flash holes, a lot quiker and easier to place the tip of a air nozzle into the neck and blast it out than try to fit something into the flash hole.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

tXr wrote:I used compressed air to clear the flash holes, a lot quiker and easier to place the tip of a air nozzle into the neck and blast it out than try to fit something into the flash hole.
This.^

But since I switched to lizard bedding I haven't had any stick in the flash hole.